If you're looking to discover the very latest music-making technology and you want to save money, Your Free Open Source Music Studiois for you. This exciting new book takes readers deep into the world of open source software---where the new, the innovative, and the affordable are key. Delve into pre-screened useable and reliable music shareware and freeware programs, beginning with shareware DAW recording software. Learn about the various multi-track recording programs that are available free of charge and how you can get your hands on them. There are also tutorials on how to use the programs. You'll then brush up on the various available plug-ins, from virtual instruments to correctional plug-ins, like compressors. The book also examines stereo audio editors like Audacity, which are a necessity for mastering; destructive edits; and more. Much of the technology the book covers is more advanced than anything you can currently purchase, but it's free! This is a must-have resource for any musician looking to save money while learning the latest technology.
About Your Free Open Source Music Studio
- After starting his own company, funding it entirely on his own, author G. W. Childs realizes the difficulties faced by those just starting out. Learn more about his journey, the tools he found, when and when not to spend money, and how to do it."[T]he main point in writing this . . . is to let you know what's out there if you just ask."
--G. W. Childs (from the Preface)
- Takes readers deep into the world of open source music software--where the new, the innovative, and the affordable is key.
- Explains how you can get your hands on free DAWs, plugins, and other useful freeware and shareware for your studio.
- Provides tutorials on how to use the various programs available.
- Fills in the gaps where you need it by detailing specific instructions for installing shareware software on multiple operating systems even when no clear instruction is provided by the developer.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 What You Need, What’s Free, and What’s Not
Chapter 2 DAWs
Chapter 3 Synthesizers
Chapter 4 FX
Chapter 5 Drum Machines
Chapter 6 Niche Plug-Ins
Chapter 7 Where to Find More
Appendix A: More Must-Haves
Appendix B: Interviews with Laura Escudé and Don Hill