An in-depth and comprehensive take on WordPress, covering everything about the platform such as WordPress posts, pages, themes, plugins, and more.
- Get up to date with the latest WordPress 5.0 (Bebo) and all its new features
- Beginner-friendly layout and advice you can apply from day one with loads of screenshots and examples
- Enrich your development experience with the new block-based editor Gutenberg
Back in the day, when you wanted to launch a new website, you either had to learn web programming yourself or hire a professional who would take care of the whole process for you. Nowadays, with WordPress, anyone can build an optimized site with the least amount of effort possible and then make it available to the world in no time.
Here, in the seventh edition of the book, we are going to show you how to build great looking and functional websites using WordPress. The new version of WordPress – 5.0 – comes with a few important changes, and we tell you all about how to use them effectively. From crafting content pages using the block editor, and customizing the design of your site, through to making sure it's secure, we go through it all.
The book starts by introducing WordPress and teaching you how to set it up. You are then shown how to create a blog site, start writing content, and even use plugins and themes to customize the design of the site and add some unique elements to set it apart. If you want to get more in-depth, we also show you how to get started creating your own themes and plugins. Finally, we teach you how to use WordPress for building non-blog websites.
By the end of the book, you will be sufficiently skilled to design high-quality websites and will be fully familiar with the ins and outs of WordPress.
What you will learn
- Learn to adapt your plugin with the Gutenberg editor
- Create content that is optimized for publication on the web
- Craft great looking pages and posts with the use of block editor
- Structure your web pages in an accessible and clear way
- Install and work with plugins and themes
- Customize the design of your website
- Upload multimedia content, such as images, audio, and video easily and effectively
- Develop your own WordPress plugins and themes
- Use WordPress to build websites that serve purposes other than blogs
Who this book is for
The ideal target audience for this book would be PHP developers who have some basic knowledge of working with WordPress and who want to get a comprehensive practical understanding of working with WordPress and create production-ready websites with it.
Table of Contents
- Introducing WordPress
- Getting Started with WordPress
- Creating Blog Content
- Pages, Media, and Importing/Exporting Content
- Plugins - What They Are and Why You Need Them
- Securing your WordPress Website
- Choosing and Installing Themes
- Customizing your Website Appearance/Design
- Developing your Own Theme
- Social Media Integration, Podcasting, and HTTPS
- Developing Plugins, Widgets, and an Introduction to REST API
- Creating a Non-Blog Website Part One - The Basics
- Creating a Non-Blog Website Part Two - E-Commerce Websites and Custom Content Elements