Unreal Engine 4 for virtual reality game design, development, User Experience design techniques and Blueprint programming to create virtual reality gameplay for HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, PSVR, and Windows Mixed Reality headsets.
- Build VR games from scratch with the power of Unreal Engine 4
- Learn User Experience design practices to take your VR game to the next level
- Understand the best practices to creating art for games on HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, and PSVR
With the ability to put players directly in the game, virtual reality gives users the chance to experience digital worlds directly. Nevertheless, many designers are unsure where to start when working with this amazing technology.
With this book, you will learn user experience design processes and create immersive gameplay experiences designed for entertainment and player comfort. Using the power of Unreal Engine 4's Blueprint visual scripting language, you will build player interaction and locomotion systems from scratch and use these flexible systems to create a sample game, as well as develop functional 2D and 3D user interfaces for players to interact with. And also learn the best practices for creating game art for virtual reality. Finally, you will learn how to test your application with your target audience and finalize your game for distribution.
By the end of this book, you will have the knowledge to be able to make the leap from traditional game development to creating immersive virtual reality experiences using Unreal Engine 4.
What you will learn
- Understand how to get started with VR development in Unreal Engine 4
- Design and create interaction and locomotion systems from scratch
- Plan and program a sample game for VR
- Understand how VR affects user experience and user interfaces
- Discuss what is needed to create optimized art for VR
- Test your game with users and prepare for distribution
Who this book is for
The audience for this book is intermediate or advanced users of Unreal Engine 4 but who have not begun working with VR technology. These users are familiar with the game engine and have an interest in VR technology. They are just beginning to explore the VR features that the game engine has to offer.
Table of Contents
- Introducing VR Technology in Unreal Engine 4
- Locomotion, Design, and Starting Our Project
- Exploring Riveting Gameplay in Virtual Reality
- User Interface and User Experience inside VR
- Creating Optimized Game Art for VR in UE4
- Finalizing Our VR Game and Next Steps