Get up to speed with a series of performance-enhancing coding techniques and methods that will help you improve the performance of your Unity applications
- Optimize graphically intensive games using the latest features of Unity such as Electronic Clearance Service (ECS) and the Burst compiler
- Explore techniques for solving performance issues with your VR projects
- Learn best practices for project organization to save time through an improved workflow
Unity engine comes with a great set of features to help you build high-performance games. This Unity book is your guide to optimizing various aspects of your game development, from game characters and scripts, right through to animations.
You’ll explore techniques for writing better game scripts and learn how to optimize a game using Unity technologies such as ECS and the Burst compiler. The book will also help you manage third-party tooling used with the Unity ecosystem. You’ll also focus on the problems in the performance of large games and virtual reality (VR) projects in Unity, gaining insights into detecting performance issues and performing root cause analysis. As you progress, you’ll discover best practices for your Unity C# script code and get to grips with usage patterns. Later, you’ll be able to optimize audio resources and texture files, along with effectively storing and using resource files. You’ll then delve into the Rendering Pipeline and learn how to identify performance problems in the pipeline. In addition to this, you’ll learn how to optimize the memory and processing unit of Unity. Finally, you’ll cover tips and tricks used by Unity professionals to improve the project workflow.
By the end of this book, you’ll have developed the skills you need to build interactive games using Unity and its components.
What you will learn
- Apply the Unity Profiler to find bottlenecks in your app, and discover how to resolve them
- Discover performance problems that are critical for VR projects and learn how to tackle them
- Enhance shaders in an accessible way, optimizing them with subtle yet effective performance tweaks
- Use the physics engine to keep scenes as dynamic as possible
- Organize, filter, and compress art assets to maximize performance while maintaining high quality
- Use the Mono framework and C# to implement low-level enhancements that maximize memory usage and prevent garbage collection
Who This Book Is For
The book is intended for intermediate Unity game developers who wants to maximize the performance of their game. The book assumes familiarity with C# programming.