Ubuntu Unleashed 2010 Edition presents comprehensive coverage of the popular Ubuntu Linux distribution. Windows users, Mac users, and Linux enthusiasts have been increasingly turning to Ubuntu for a user-friendly, easy-to-use Linux distribution.
This book provides detailed information on installing, using, and administering Ubuntu. You will learn how to set up a workstation or a server, and you will find complete details on Ubuntu’s easy-to-use desktop and productivity software.
Ubuntu Unleashed 2010 Edition includes a range of coverage: From the software you need in your everyday work, such as the OpenOffice.org productivity suite, to how to configure your Linux desktop to run smoothly using multiple printers, shell scripts, and more.
For the hardcore Linux enthusiast, there is complete coverage of the
X Window system, Linux programming, web server administration, and network administration.
Ubuntu 9.10 on DVD
DVD includes the full Ubuntu 9.10 distribution for Intel x86 computers as well as the complete OpenOffice.org office suite and hundreds of additional programs and utilities.
Purchase this book anytime in 2010 and receive a free Ubuntu 10.04 Upgrade Kit by mail (U.S. or Canada only) after Ubuntu 10.04 is released.
- See inside back cover for details.
- Install and configure Ubuntu
- Get all your system’s devices and peripherals up and running
- Configure and use the X Window System
- Manage Linux services and users
- Run a printer server
- Connect to a local network and the Internet
- Set up and administer a web server with Apache
- Secure your machine and your network from intruders
- Learn shell scripting
- Share files with Windows users using Samba
- Get productive with OpenOffice.org
- Play games on Linux
- Use Linux multimedia programs
- Create and maintain a MySQL database
- Configure a firewall
- Set up an FTP server
- Use Ubuntu’s development and programming tools
- Tune your Ubuntu system for maximum performance
- Learn to manage and compile the kernel and modules