Tika in Action is a hands-on guide to content mining with Apache Tika. The book's many examples and case studies offer real-world experience from domains ranging from search engines to digital asset management and scientific data processing.
About the Technology
Tika is an Apache toolkit that has built into it everything you and your app need to know about file formats. Using Tika, your applications can discover and extract content from digital documents in almost any format, including exotic ones.
About this Book
Tika in Action is the ultimate guide to content mining using Apache Tika. You'll learn how to pull usable information from otherwise inaccessible sources, including internet media and file archives. This example-rich book teaches you to build and extend applications based on real-world experience with search engines, digital asset management, and scientific data processing. In addition to architectural overviews, you'll find detailed chapters on features like metadata extraction, automatic language detection, and custom parser development.
This book is written for developers who are new to both Scala and Lift and covers just enough Scala to get you started.
- Crack MS Word, PDF, HTML, and ZIP
- Integrate with search engines, CMS, and other data sources
- Learn through experimentation
- Many examples
This book requires no previous knowledge of Tika or text mining techniques. It assumes a working knowledge of Java.
Table of Contents
PART 1 GETTING STARTED
- The case for the digital Babel fish
- Getting started with Tika
- The information landscape
PART 2 TIKA IN DETAIL
- Document type detection
- Content extraction
- Understanding metadata
- Language detection
- What's in a file?
PART 3 INTEGRATION AND ADVANCED USE
- The big picture
- Tika and the Lucene search stack
- Extending Tika
PART 4 CASE STUDIES
- Powering NASA science data systems
- Content management with Apache Jackrabbit
- Curating cancer research data with Tika
- The classic search engine example