A developer's guide to successfully managing teams, customers, and software projects
- A complete guide to managing developer teams, software projects, customers, and users
- Transition successfully from a technical role to management
- Develop crucial skills to enhance your performance and advance your career
The Successful Software Manager is a comprehensive and practical guide to managing software developers, software customers, and the process of deciding what software needs to be built. It explains in detail how to develop a management mindset, lead a high-performing developer team, and meet all the expectations of a good manager.
The book will help you whether you've chosen to pursue a career in management or have been asked to "act up" as a manager. Whether you're a Development Manager, Product Manager, Team Leader, Solution Architect, or IT Director, this is your indispensable guide to all aspects of running your team and working within an organization and dealing with colleagues, customers, potential customers, and technologists, to ensure you build the product your organization needs.
This book is the must-have authoritative guide to managing projects, managing people, and preparing yourself to be an effective manager. The intuitive real-life examples will act as a desk companion for any day-to-day challenge, and beyond that, Herman will show you how to prepare for the next stages and how to achieve career success.
What you will learn
- Decide if moving to management is right for you
- Develop the skills required for management
- Lead and manage successful software development projects
- Understand the various roles in a technical team and how to manage them
- Motivate and mentor your team
- Deliver successful training and presentations
- Lead the design process with storyboards and personas, and validate your solution
Who this book is for
Development Managers, Product Managers, Team Leaders, Solution Architects, or IT Directors who want to effectively manage colleagues, customers, potential customers, and technologists.
Table of Contents
- Why Do You Want to Become a Manager?
- What Are the Key Skills I Need?
- What Is My Job Now?
- A Week in the Life of a Manager
- Managing Your Team
- Asking the Right Questions to Your Users
- Design Techniques
- Validating the Solution
- Agile, Waterfall, and Everything in Between
- Always Be Shipping
- The Training Day
- Organizational Management in the 21st Century
- Developing Yourself as a Leader
- Your Next Steps