The LaTeX Companion, 2nd Edition has long been the essential resource for anyone using LaTeX to create high-quality printed documents. This completely updated edition brings you all the latest information about LaTeX and the vast range of add-on packages now available--over 200 are covered! Full of new tips and tricks for using LaTeX in both traditional and modern typesetting, this book will also show you how to customize layout features to your own needs--from phrases and paragraphs to headings, lists, and pages.
Inside, you will find:
- Expert advice on using LaTeX's basic formatting tools to create all types of publications--from memos to encyclopedias
- In-depth coverage of important extension packages for tabular and technical typesetting, floats and captions, multicolumn layouts--including reference guides and discussions of the underlying typographic and TeXnical concepts
- Detailed techniques for generating and typesetting contents lists, bibliographies, indexes, etc.
- Tips and tricks for LaTeX programmers and systems support
New to this edition:
- Nearly 1,000 fully tested examples that illustrate the text and solve typographical and technical problems--all ready to run!
- An additional chapter on citations and bibliographies
- Expanded material on the setup and use of fonts to access a huge collection of glyphs, and to typeset text from a wide range of languages and cultures
- Major new packages for graphics, "verbatim" listings, floats, and page layout
- Full coverage of the latest packages for all types ofdocuments--mathematical, multilingual, and many more
- Detailed help on all error messages, including those troublesome low-level TeX errors
Like its predecessor, The LaTeX Companion, Second Edition, is an indispensable reference for anyone wishing to use LaTeX productively.
The accompanying CD-ROM contains a complete plug-and-play LaTeX installation, including all the packages and examples featured in the book.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 2 The Structure of a LATEX Document
Chapter 3 Basic Formatting Tools
Chapter 4 The Layout of the Page
Chapter 5 Tabular Material
Chapter 6 Mastering Floats
Chapter 7 Fonts and Encodings
Chapter 8 Higher Mathematics
Chapter 9 LATEX in a Multilingual Environment
Chapter 10 Graphics Generation and Manipulation
Chapter 11 Index Generation
Chapter 12 Managing Citations
Chapter 13 Bibliography Generation
Chapter 14 LATEX Package Documentation Tools