The sixth edition of Anthony Giddens' Sociology is the best yet.
Revised and updated throughout, it provides an authoritative overview of recent global developments and new ideas in sociology. Classic debates are also given careful coverage, with even the most complex ideas explained in an engaging way.
Written in a fluent, easy-to-follow style, the book manages to be intellectually rigorous but still very accessible. It aims to engage and excite readers, helping them to see the value of thinking sociologically.
The sixth edition includes:
- substantive new material on education, media, social theory, inequalities, politics and government, and a whole new chapter on war and terrorism
- further revisions and updating in all the chapters
- a strong focus on global sociology, and the sociological imagination
- new 'classic studies' boxes, which examine in detail influential empirical research
- additional 'thinking critically' sections woven through the text, to stimulate students' own insights
- specially chosen, eye-catching photographs, which capture the everyday drama of the social world
A best-selling textbook for more than 20 years, the sixth edition sets the standard for introductory sociology. It is the ideal teaching text for first-year University and college courses, and will help to inspire a new generation of sociologists.
Please visit the accompanying website at www.politybooks.com/giddens6.
Table of Contents
Chapter I What Is Sociology?
Chapter 2 Asking And Answering Sociological Questions
Chapter 3 Theories And Perspectives In Sociology
Chapter 4 Globalization And The Changing World
Chapter 5 The Environment
Chapter 6 Cities And Urban Life
Chapter 7 Social Interaction And Everyday Life
Chapter 8 The Life-Course
Chapter 9 Families And Intimate Relationships
Chapter 10 Health, Illness And Disability
Chapter 11 Stratification And Social Class
Chapter 12 Poverty, Social Exclusion And Welfare
Chapter 13 Global Inequality
Chapter 14 Sexuality And Gender
Chapter 15 Race, Ethnicity And Migration
Chapter 16 Religion
Chapter 17 The Media
Chapter 18 Organizations And Networks
Chapter 19 Education
Chapter 20 Work And Economic Life
Chapter 21 Crime And Deviance
Chapter 22 Politics, Government And Social Movements
Chapter 23 Nations, War And Terrorism