A comprehensive text addressing the high demand for network, cloud, and content services through cutting-edge research on data pricing and business strategies
Smart Data Pricing tackles the timely issue of surging demand for network, cloud, and content services and corresponding innovations in pricing these services to benefit consumers, operators, and content providers. The pricing of data traffic and other services is central to the core challenges of network monetization, growth sustainability, and bridging the digital divide. In this book, experts from both academia and industry discuss all aspects of smart data pricing research and development, including economic analyses, system development, user behavior evaluation, and business strategies.
Smart Data Pricing:
- Presents the analysis of leading researchers from industry and academia surrounding the pricing of network services and content.
- Discusses current trends in mobile and wired data usage and their economic implications for content providers, network operators, end users, government regulators, and other players in the Internet ecosystem.
- Includes new concepts and background technical knowledge that will help researchers and managers effectively monetize their networks and improve user quality-of-experience.
- Provides cutting-edge research on business strategies and initiatives through a diverse collection of perspectives.
- Combines academic and industry expertise from multiple disciplines and business organizations.
The ideas and background of the technologies and economic principles discussed within these chapters are of real value to practitioners, researchers, and managers in identifying trends and deploying new pricing and network management technologies, and will help support managers in identifying new business directions and innovating solutions to challenging business problems.
Table of Contents
Part I Smart Data Pricing in Today's Ecosystem
Chapter 1 Will Smart Pricing Finally Take Off?
Chapter 2 Customer Price Sensitivity to Broadband Service Speed: What Are the Implications for Public Policy?
Chapter 3 Network Neutrality with Content Caching and Its Effect on Access Pricing
Part II Technologies for Smart Data Pricing
Chapter 4 Pricing under Demand Flexibility and Predictability
Chapter 5 Dual Pricing Algorithms by Wireless Network Duality for Utility Maximization
Chapter 6 Human Factors in Smart Data Pricing
Part III Usage-Based Pricing
Chapter 7 Quantifying the Costs of Customers for Usage-Based Pricing
Chapter 8 Usage-Based Pricing Differentiation for Communication Networks: Incomplete Information and Limited Pricing Choices
Chapter 9 Telecommunication Pricing: Smart Versus Dumb Pipes
Part IV Content-Based Pricing
Chapter 10 Economic Models of Sponsored Content in Wireless Networks with Uncertain Demand
Chapter 11 CDN Pricing and Investment Strategies under Competition
Chapter 12 Smart Pricing and Market Formation in Hybrid Networks
Chapter 13 To Tax or To Subsidize: The Economics of User-Generated Content Platforms
Part V Managing Content Delivery
Chapter 14 Spare Capacity Monetization by Opportunistic Content Scheduling
Chapter 15 Asynchronous Content Delivery and Pricing in Cellular Data Networks
Chapter 16 Mechanisms for Quota Aware Video Adaptation
Chapter 17 The Role of Multicast in Congestion Alleviation
Part VI Pricing in the Cloud
Chapter 18 Smart Pricing of Cloud Resources
Chapter 19 Allocating and Pricing Data Center Resources with Power-Aware Combinatorial Auctions