- Develop code that extracts vital information from everyday forensic acquisitions.
- Increase the quality and efficiency of your forensic analysis.
- Leverage the latest resources and capabilities available to the forensic community.
Technology plays an increasingly large role in our daily lives and shows no sign of stopping. Now, more than ever, it is paramount that an investigator develops programming expertise to deal with increasingly large datasets.
By leveraging the Python recipes explored throughout this book, we make the complex simple, quickly extracting relevant information from large datasets. You will explore, develop, and deploy Python code and libraries to provide meaningful results that can be immediately applied to your investigations. Throughout the Python Digital Forensics Cookbook, recipes include topics such as working with forensic evidence containers, parsing mobile and desktop operating system artifacts, extracting embedded metadata from documents and executables, and identifying indicators of compromise. You will also learn to integrate scripts with Application Program Interfaces (APIs) such as VirusTotal and PassiveTotal, and tools such as Axiom, Cellebrite, and EnCase.
By the end of the book, you will have a sound understanding of Python and how you can use it to process artifacts in your investigations.
What you will learn
- Understand how Python can enhance digital forensics and investigations
- Learn to access the contents of, and process, forensic evidence containers
- Explore malware through automated static analysis
- Extract and review message contents from a variety of email formats
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Essential Scripting and File Information Recipes
Chapter 2. Creating Artifact Report Recipes
Chapter 3. A Deep Dive into Mobile Forensic Recipes
Chapter 4. Extracting Embedded Metadata Recipes
Chapter 5. Networking and Indicators of Compromise Recipes
Chapter 6. Reading Emails and Taking Names Recipes
Chapter 7. Log-Based Artifact Recipes
Chapter 8. Working with Forensic Evidence Container Recipes
Chapter 9. Exploring Windows Forensic Artifacts Recipes - Part I
Chapter 10. Exploring Windows Forensic Artifacts Recipes - Part II