ASP.NET 4.5 remains Microsoft's preferred technology for creating dynamic websites, providing developers with unrivaled power and flexibility.
Pro ASP.NET 4.5 in VB, 5th Edition is the most complete reference to ASP.NET that you will find. This comprehensively revised fifth edition will teach you everything you need to know in order to create well-designed ASP.NET websites. Beginning with core concepts the book progresses steadily through key professional skills. You'll be shown how to query databases in detail, consider the myriad applications of XML, and step through all the considerations you need to be aware of when securing your site from intruders.
Finally, you'll consider advanced topics such as using client-side validation, jQuery and Ajax.By the time you have read this book you will have learned all the skills you need to use ASP.NET 4.5 with confidence.
What you’ll learn
- Understand why ASP.NET 4.5 is so special, what its fundamental principles are, the basics of Visual Studio, how ASP.NET controls are created and how they fit into ASP.NET pages, ultimately creating full applications.
- Become familiar with ASP.NET MVC 4, one of the biggest additions to ASP.NET 4, and understand how to use it and integrate it within your existing ASP.NET applications.
- Discover the intricacies of ADO.NET and the Entity Framework and how to perform data binding to many sources, from databases to file streams and XML.
- Learn the various forms of security available and how to best apply them. Once considered the Achilles' heel of all Windows web applications, security has vastly improved and is now a cornerstone of ASP.NET.
- Understand how to work with web services, an important skill in an increasingly connected world.
Who this book is for
This book is aimed at developers with a basic understanding on the .NET Framework who want to learn how to use it in a professional environment. Migrating readers without this foundation would be well served by reading Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 in VB, also by Apress, before tackling this book.
Table of Contents
Part1: Getting Started
Chapter 1: Your First ASP.NET Application
Chapter 2: Putting ASP.NET in Context
Chapter 3: Essential VB Language Features
Chapter 4: Using jQuery
Chapter 5: Essential Development Tools
Chapter 6: SportsStore: A Real Application
Chapter 7: SportsStore: Navigation and Cart
Chapter 8: SportsStore: Completing the Cart
Chapter 9: SportsStore: Administration
Chapter 10: SportsStore: Deployment
Chapter 11: Testable Web Apps
Part2: The Core ASP.NET Platform
Chapter 12: Working with Web Forms
Chapter 13: Lifecycles and Context
Chapter 14: Modules
Chapter 15: Handlers
Chapter 16: Page and Control Lifecycle Events
Chapter 17: Managing Request Execution
Chapter 18: Managing State Data
Chapter 19: Caching
Chapter 20: Caching Output
Chapter 21: Handling Errors
Chapter 22: Managing Paths
Chapter 23: URL Routing
Chapter 24: Advanced URL Routing
Chapter 25: Authentication and Authorization
Chapter 26: Membership and OpenAuth
Chapter 27: ASP.NET Configuration
Chapter 28: Asynchronous Request Handling
Part3: Forms and Controls
Chapter 29: Working with Controls
Chapter 30: Forms and Request Validation
Chapter 31: Creating Custom Controls
Chapter 32: Stateful Controls
Chapter 33: Server-Side HTML Elements
Chapter 34: Model Binding
Chapter 35: Data Binding
Chapter 36: Basic Data Controls
Chapter 37: Complex Data Controls
Chapter 38: Other ASP.NET Controls
Part4: Client-Side Development
Chapter 39: Managing Scripts and Styles
Chapter 40: Ajax and Web Services
Chapter 41: Client-Side Validation