What's in the book?
The final book will contain seven complete projects that teach you the new features in iOS 10. Because I'm writing it as I go, it's possible some tutorials might not work out as well as I had hoped, but if that happens they will be replaced so you'll definitely get at least seven full projects.
Right now, the project list is as follows:
- Project 1: Create a rich media photo album using iOS 10's voice transcription and search functionality. [COMPLETE!]
- Project 2: Build a group scheduling app that integrates with Messages. [COMPLETE!]
- Project 3: Create a ride-sharing app that integrates with SiriKit for voice activation.
- Project 4: Build an iOS 10 lock screen widget that helps language learners memorize new vocabulary. [COMPLETE!]
- Project 5: Create a daily alarm planner using the new UserNotifications framework. [COMPLETE!]
- Project 6: Code your own board game using the new GKMonteCarloStrategist from GameplayKit. [COMPLETE!]
- Project 7: Create a top-down war game using SpriteKit's powerful new node tiling system.
I've marked with "[COMPLETE!]" the chapters that are completed already.
The book will also include Hacking with Swift-style technique projects, including a comprehensive introduction to Swift 3 to help you understand what's changed and why, plus APIs like the new animation framework.
I'd love to include more projects in the book – please send me your requests and I'll do my best!
Again, that list is subject to change if things don't work out as planned, but if you have something specific you'd like to see added please let me know.
Please note: Practical iOS 10 will not teach you Swift. You should already have completed Hacking with Swift or Pro Swift, or have written your own existing Swift apps.
Table of Contents
About this book
Building the user interface
Working with MSMessagesAppViewController
Selecting possible dates
Sending and receiving messages
Making our message look attractive
Creating a basic language app
Building a today extension
Animating views with UIViewPropertyAnimator