Leverage the power of Unity 3D and Playmaker to develop a game from scratch
- Create artificial intelligence for a game using Playmaker
- Learn how to integrate a game with external APIs (Kongregate)
- Learn how to quickly develop games in Unity and Playmaker
- A step-by-step game development tutorial using AI scripting, external APIs and Multiplayer implementation
Unity is a powerful rendering engine which is fully integrated with a complete set of intuitive tools to create interactive 3D and 2D content. Playmaker is a flexible visual state machine editor and runtime library for Unity 3D which facilitates visual scripting for Unity 3D.
This book starts by explaining you the component-based approach to game development. It then moves on to teach you how to use state machine's interface to make a game with minimum code and how to add AI and Photon networking to it. The book then progresses through helping you understand how to write a Kongregate API code and upload your game on it. The book finally ends up enabling you to make a complete web Multiplayer game in Unity and add an external API to it.
What you will learn from this book
- Understand the Unity project structure and the component-based approach to game development.
- Master Unity and Playmaker's interface
- Utilize Unity and Playmaker to create game mechanics
- Implement networking and multiplayer using Photon Unity Networking via Playmaker
- Import and position a model in the scene
- Construct your own custom Playmaker actions
- Create a game from scratch and customize it
A practical guide packed with examples that helps you to build a full-fledged game with the help of Unity and Playmaker. A few exercises and useful external resources are also provided to improve both the game and your skills.
Who this book is written for
This book is for animation artists and 3D artists, designers, and engineers who want to create interactive content with little or no programming. This book is also for game programmers who want to create a game from scratch in Unity and Playmaker. You are expected to have basic knowledge of game programming and Unity 3D.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Getting Started with Unity and Playmaker
Chapter 2: User Interface
Chapter 3: Components and State Machines
Chapter 4: Creating Your First Game
Chapter 5: Scripting and Custom Actions
Chapter 6: Networking and Multiplayer
Chapter 7: Working with External APIs