Over 40 recipes to create mobile applications using the PhoneGap API with examples and clear instructions
- Use the PhoneGap API to create native mobile applications that work on a wide range of mobile devices
- Discover the native device features and functions you can access and include within your applications
- Packed with clear and concise examples to show you how to easily build native mobile applications
As more and more of our online life and daily activities evolve into the mobile landscape it has never been of more importance to start venturing into the world of mobile applications.
"PhoneGap Mobile Application Development Cookbook" will show you how to create native mobile applications for multiple device platforms using the PhoneGap API. You will learn to build dynamic applications that interact with the native functionality on the device to create a rich, interactive experience for your users.
This is a cookbook with each section written as a recipe in an informal, friendly style. Each recipe contains the complete code needed to build your applications, and plenty of screenshots showing the completed projects running on devices are included to assist you.
"PhoneGap Mobile Application Development Cookbook" will introduce the PhoneGap API to you in clear, concise sections, breaking down each recipe to achieve realistic working projects that can be applied to your own mobile applications.
You will be shown how to use the mobile development framework to build applications that can be deployed and run on multiple mobile platforms including iOS, Android, and BlackBerry.
This book will explore the various methods and functions available using the API, and how to write code that interacts with the native functions, including geolocation sensors, contacts database, and native button events of the device to create powerful applications ready for the market place.
"PhoneGap Mobile Application Development Cookbook" will help you break into the world of mobile application development. Build mobile applications in code you’re comfortable with, create a richer user experience for your users and become part of the ever-growing mobile market place.
What will you learn from this book
- Build your application to interact with real-time sensor data
- Learn how to store data and cache data and content using HTML5 storage APIs
- Access the camera of the device to create a seamless multimedia workflow
- Set up your PhoneGap mobile development environment
- Access the contact database of your device
- Enhance your application by creating custom plugins built using custom native code
- Use HTML5 and CSS3 in your mobile applications
This cookbook consists of recipes with plenty of example code and is full of screenshots to make the learning curve easier and quicker.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Movement and Location: Using the Accelerometer and Geolocation Sensors
Chapter 2: File System, Storage, and Local Databases
Chapter 3: Working with Audio, Images, and Video
Chapter 4: Working with Your Contacts
Chapter 5: Hook into Native Events
Chapter 6: Working with XUI
Chapter 7: User Interface Development with jQuery Mobile
Chapter 8: Extending PhoneGap with Plugins
Chapter 9: Development Tools and Testing