Excel in Nginx quickly by learning to use its most essential features in real-life applications
About This Book
- Learn how to set up, configure, and operate an Nginx installation for day-to-day use
- Explore the vast features of Nginx to manage it like a pro, and use them successfully to run your website
- Example-based guide to get the best out of Nginx to reduce resource usage footprint
Who This Book Is For
This book is ideal for skilled web masters and site reliability engineers who want to switch to Nginx or solidify their knowledge of Nginx. Knowledge of Unix and webmaster skills are required.
What You Will Learn
- Get started with an Nginx installation from scratch in various environments and customize it for your purposes
- Start and stop a basic Nginx installation, discover the basics of process management, and learn how to set up Nginx to serve static data
- Create highly-maintainable configuration files to perform the most critical Nginx maintenance tasks
- Set up Nginx as a reverse proxy and learn to use the Nginx caching feature
- Discover how to benefit from the Nginx rewrite engine and how to use access restrictions in Nginx
- Use various Nginx features to manage inbound traffic and understand how to use Nginx load balancing and fault tolerance features
- Understand advanced feature-independent performance tuning strategies and optimizations
- Manage inbound and outbound traffic and configure access control
This book provides both basic and in-depth knowledge to help you effectively solve challenges with Nginx, or comfortably go through a transition period when switching to Nginx.
Starting with the basics, you will learn by example how to set up, configure, and operate an Nginx installation and use features of Nginx to elegantly solve challenges you experience every day when running your website. You will learn to use the rewrite engine to solve day-to-day tasks and be able to configure access restrictions in Nginx. You will also be able to manage inbound traffic using a number of Nginx features and use Nginx for load balancing and fault-tolerance features. Finally, you will learn how to solve common performance problems and apply a number of performance-tuning strategies.
Through easy exploration of the most intricate topics, this book aims to bring you to the next level in your Nginx experience.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Getting Started with Nginx
Chapter 2 : Managing Nginx
Chapter 3 : Proxying and Caching
Chapter 4 : Rewrite Engine and Access Control
Chapter 5 : Managing Inbound and Outbound Traffic
Chapter 6 : Performance Tuning