A complete handbook on Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 – from design considerations to operational best practices
About This Book
- Get to grips with the basics of identity management and get acquainted with the MIM components and functionalities
- Discover the newly-introduced product features and how they can help your organization
- A step-by-step guide to enhance your foundational skills in using Microsoft Identity Manager from those who have taught and supported large and small enterprise customers
Who This Book Is For
If you are an architect or a developer who wants to deploy, manage, and operate Microsoft Identity Manager 2016, then this book is for you. This book will also help the technical decision makers who want to improve their knowledge of Microsoft Identity Manager 2016. A basic understanding of Microsoft-based infrastructure using Active Directory is expected. Identity management beginners and experts alike will be able to apply the examples and scenarios to solve real-world customer problems.
What You Will Learn
- Install MIM components
- Find out about the MIM synchronization, its configuration settings, and advantages
- Get to grips with the MIM service capabilities and develop custom activities
- Use the MIM Portal to provision and manage an account
- Mitigate access escalation and lateral movement risks using privileged access management
- Configure client certificate management and its detailed permission model
- Troubleshoot MIM components by enabling logging and reviewing logs
- Back up and restore the MIM 2015 configuration
- Discover more about periodic purging and the coding best practices
Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 is Microsoft’s solution to identity management. When fully installed, the product utilizes SQL, SharePoint, IIS, web services, the .NET Framework, and SCSM to name a few, allowing it to be customized to meet nearly every business requirement.
The book is divided into 15 chapters and begins with an overview of the product, what it does, and what it does not do. To better understand the concepts in MIM, we introduce a fictitious company and their problems and goals, then build an identity solutions to fit those goals. Over the course of this book, we cover topics such as MIM installation and configuration, user and group management options, self-service solutions, role-based access control, reducing security threats, and finally operational troubleshooting and best practices.
By the end of this book, you will have gained the necessary skills to deploy, manage and operate Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 to meet your business requirements and solve real-world customer problems.
Style and approach
The concepts in the book are explained and illustrated with the help of screenshots as much as possible. We strive for readability and provide you with step-by-step instructions on the installation, configuration, and operation of the product.
Throughout the book, you will be provided on-the-field knowledge that you won’t get from whitepapers and help files.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Overview of Microsoft Identity Manager 2016
Chapter 2. Installation
Chapter 3. MIM Sync Configuration
Chapter 4. MIM Service Configuration
Chapter 5. User Management
Chapter 6. Group Management
Chapter 7. Role-Based Access Control with BHOLD
Chapter 8. Reducing Threats with PAM
Chapter 9. Password Management
Chapter 10. Overview of Certificate Management
Chapter 11. Installation and the Client Side of Certificate Management
Chapter 12. Certificate Management Scenarios
Chapter 13. Reporting
Chapter 14. Troubleshooting
Chapter 15. Operations and Best Practices