- Create professional grade games with realistic animation and graphics, particle systems and game physics with Unity 2017
- Unleash the power of C# scripting to create intelligent game AI and professional grade game workflows.
- Create immersive VR games using the latest Unity 2017 VR SDK.
Do you want to make the leap from being an everyday Unity developer to being a pro game developer? Then look no further! This book is your one-stop solution to creating mesmerizing games with lifelike features and amazing gameplay.
This book focuses in some detail on a practical project with Unity, building a first-person game with many features. You'll delve into the architecture of a Unity game, creating expansive worlds, interesting render effects, and other features to make your games special. You will create individual game components, use efficient animation techniques, and implement collision and physics effectively. Specifically, we'll explore optimal techniques for importing game assets, such as meshes and textures; tips and tricks for effective level design; how to animate and script NPCs; how to configure and deploy to mobile devices; how to prepare for VR development; how to work with version control; and more.
By the end of this book, you'll have developed sufficient competency in Unity development to produce fun games with confidence.
What you will learn
- Explore hands-on tasks and real-world scenarios to make a Unity horror adventure game
- Create enemy characters that act intelligently and make reasoned decisions
- Use data files to save and restore game data in a way that is platform-agnostic
- Get started with VR development
- Use navigation meshes, occlusion culling, and Profiler tools
- Work confidently with GameObjects, rotations, and transformations
- Understand specific gameplay features such as AI enemies, inventory systems, and level design
About the Author
Alan Thorn is a multidisciplinary game developer, author, and educator with 17 years of industry experience. He makes games for PC desktop, mobile, and VR. He founded Wax Lyrical Games and created the award-winning game Baron Wittard: Nemesis of Ragnarok, working as designer, programmer, and artist. He has written 23 technical books on game development and presented 19 video training courses. These cover gameplay programming, Unity development, and 3D modeling and animation. He has worked in game education as a senior lecturer for Teesside University, a lead teacher for Uppingham School, and a visiting lecturer for London South Bank University. Currently, he's the Head of Department for Games Design and Development at the National Film and Television School.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Building and Configuring Assets
Chapter 2. Level Design and Structure
Chapter 3. PLAYER CONTROLS - MOVEMENT
Chapter 4. PLAYER CONTROLS - TYPING AND HEALTH
Chapter 5. ENEMIES AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
Chapter 6. PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND VERSION CONTROL
Chapter 7. PERSISTENT DATA - LOAD AND SAVE GAME STATES
Chapter 8. PERFORMANCE, OPTIMIZATION, MOBILES, AND MORE