- Master advanced concepts of PostgreSQL 12 with real-world examples and sample datasets
- Explore aspects like query parallelism, data replication, database administration, and more
- Extend the functionalities of PostgreSQL instance to suit your organizations needs with minimal effort
PostgreSQL has earned a strong reputation for reliability, feature robustness, and performance. This third edition of Mastering PostgreSQL 12 helps you build dynamic database solutions for enterprise applications using the latest release of PostgreSQL, which enables database analysts to design both the physical and technical aspects of the system architecture with ease.
This book begins with an introduction to the newly released features in PostgreSQL 12 to help you build efficient and fault-tolerant PostgreSQL applications. You'll examine all of the advanced aspects of PostgreSQL in detail, including logical replication, database clusters, performance tuning, monitoring, and user management. You will also work with the PostgreSQL optimizer, configuring PostgreSQL for high speed, and see how to move from Oracle to PostgreSQL. As you progress through the chapters, you will cover transactions, locking, indexes, and optimizing queries to improve performance. Additionally, you'll learn to manage network security and explore backups and replications, while understanding the useful extensions of PostgreSQL so that you can optimize the speed and performance of large databases.
By the end of this book, you will be able to use your database to its utmost capacity by implementing advanced administrative tasks with ease.
What you will learn
- Get to grips with advanced PostgreSQL 12 features and SQL functions
- Use indexing features in PostgreSQL to fine-tune the performance of queries
- Work with stored procedures and manage backup and recovery
- Master replication and failover techniques to reduce data loss
- Replicate PostgreSQL database systems to create proper backups and to scale your database
- Manage and improve the security of your server to protect your data
- Troubleshoot your PostgreSQL instance for solutions to common and not-so-common problems
Who This Book Is For
This book is ideal for PostgreSQL developers and administrators, and database professionals wanting to implement advanced functionalities and master complex administrative tasks with PostgreSQL 12. Prior exposure to PostgreSQL as well as familiarity with the basics of database administration is expected.