Find out how to write Kotlin code without overhead and how to use different profiling tools and bytecode viewer to inspect expressions of Kotlin language.
- Learn memory optimization, concurrency, multi-threading, scaling, and caching techniques to achieve high performance.
- Apply modern Kotlin features to speed up processing and implement highly efficient and reliable codes.
- Learn how to prevent unnecessary overhead and use profiling tools to detect performance issues.
The ease with which we write applications has been increasing, but with it comes the need to address their performance. A balancing act between easily implementing complex applications and keeping their performance optimal is a present-day need. In this book, we explore how to achieve this crucial balance while developing and deploying applications with Kotlin. This book will help you learn how to use profiling tools to detect performance issues that affect user experience. You will also discover bytecode, which is generated to overcome performance bottlenecks.
The book starts by analyzing various Kotlin specifications to identify those potentially affecting performance adversely. Then, we move on to monitor techniques that enable us to identify performance bottlenecks and optimize performance metrics. Next, we look at techniques that help us achieve high performance: memory optimization, concurrency, multi-threading, scaling, and caching. We also look at fault tolerance solutions and the importance of logging. We'll also cover best practices of Kotlin programming that will help you improve the quality of your codebase. By the end of the book, you will have gained insight into various techniques and solutions that will help create high-performance applications in the Kotlin environment.
What you will learn
- Understand the importance of high performance
- Learn performance metrics
- Learn popular design patterns currently being used in Kotlin
- Understand how to apply modern Kotlin features to data processing
- Learn how to use profiling tools
- Discover how to read bytecode
- Learn to perform memory optimizations
- Uncover approaches to multithreading environment
Who This Book Is For
This book is for Kotlin developers who would like to build reliable and high-performance applications. Prior Kotlin programming knowledge is assumed.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Identifying Performance Bottlenecks
Chapter 2. Identifying Indicators of Performance Issues
Chapter 3. Learning How to Use Profiling Tools
Chapter 4. Functional Approach
Chapter 5. Enhancing the Performance of Collections
Chapter 6. Optimizing Access to Properties
Chapter 7. Preventing Unnecessary Overhead Using Delegates
Chapter 8. Ranges and Identifying Performance Issues
Chapter 9. Multithreading and Reactive Programming
Chapter 10. Best Practices