Unlock the full potential of the Docker containerization platform with this practical guide
- Explore tools such as Docker Engine, Machine, Compose, and Swarm
- Discover how you can integrate Docker into your everyday workflows
- Get well-versed with Kubernetes options such as Minikube, Kind, and MicroK8s
Docker has been a game changer when it comes to how modern applications are deployed and created. It has now grown into a key driver of innovation beyond system administration, with a significant impact on the world of web development. Mastering Docker shows you how you can ensure that you're keeping up with the innovations it's driving and be sure you're using it to its full potential. This fourth edition not only demonstrates how to use Docker more effectively but also helps you rethink and reimagine what you can achieve with it.
You'll start by building, managing, and storing images along with exploring best practices for working with Docker confidently. Once you've got to grips with Docker security, the book covers essential concepts for extending and integrating Docker in new and innovative ways. You'll also learn how to take control of your containers efficiently using Docker Compose, Docker Swarm, and Kubernetes.
By the end of this Docker book, you'll have a broad yet detailed sense of what's possible with Docker and how seamlessly it fits in with a range of other platforms and tools.
What you will learn
- Get to grips with essential Docker components and concepts
- Discover the best ways to build, store, and distribute container images
- Understand how Docker can fit into your development workflow
- Secure your containers and files with Docker's security features
- Explore first-party and third-party cluster tools and plugins
- Launch and manage your Kubernetes clusters in major public clouds
Who this book is for
If you are a software architect, DevOps engineer, sysadmin, or IT professional looking to leverage Docker's extensive features for innovating any process from system administration to web development, Mastering Docker will show you how you can use it to its full potential. A basic understanding of containerization and prior Docker experience is necessary.
Table of Contents
- Docker Overview
- Building Container Images
- Storing & Distributing Images
- Managaing Containers
- Launching Multiple Containers using Docker Compose
- Using Docker Machine, Vagrant and Multipass
- Moving from Linux to Windows Containers
- Clustering with Docker Swarm
- Portainer - A GUI for Docker
- Running Docker in Public Clouds
- Clustering with Docker & Kubernetes
- Discovering more Kubernetes options
- Running Kubernetes in Public Clouds
- Securing your Docker Environment
- Docker Workflows
- Next Steps with Docker