Linux has become an increasingly popular alternative to the Windows operating system. The reasons for its growing appeal are manifold: Linux is an extremely stable operating system that serves as a platform for an ever-growing number of quality applications; it has become more user-friendly with each version released; and perhaps best of all… it's free!
Linux in easy steps, 6th edition explains the Linux environment and how to get more out of this popular free operating system.
It starts by showing how to download, install and customize Linux, guides you around the Desktop, and then introduces many great apps, including:
- The LibreOffice suite of apps: Writer (word processor), Calc (spreadsheet), Impress (presentation), Draw (drawing tool, for creating drawings, charts, diagrams and graphs), and Base (database).
- Firefox for browsing the web.
- Thunderbird for exchanging emails.
- GIMP, Pix, VLC and Rhythmbox media apps to edit photos & videos, and enjoy music & movies.
- This guide even shows how to use the powerful Linux shell to communicate directly with the kernel at the very heart of Linux, for total control.Linux in easy steps, 6th edition opens the door to a whole new world of digital possibilities using Linux.
Illustrated using Linux Mint.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Getting Started
Chapter 2 Exploring The Desktop
Chapter 3 Setting Preferences
Chapter 4 Touring The File System
Chapter 5 Engaging The Internet
Chapter 6 Producing With Office
Chapter 7 Enjoying Media
Chapter 8 Using Accessories
Chapter 9 Commanding The Terminal
Chapter 10 Performing Operations