- Understand VMware NSX's foundational components and architecture and discover best practices to help you manage VMware NSX
- Learn about the important aspects of VMware NSX 6.2 including installation, managing, monitoring, and configuring
- Learn to manage VMware NSX using best practices to elevate your skills in deploying VMware NSX in your environment
VMware NSX is the network virtualization and security platform that emerged from VMware. It is a platform for the software-defined data center. This software networking platform allows complex networking topologies to be deployed programmatically in seconds. SDNs allow ease of deployment, management, and automation in deploying and maintaining new networks while reducing and in some cases completely eliminating the need to deploy traditional networks.
In Learning VMware NSX, you will see some of these features of SDN and explore VMware NSX, starting with network virtualization. We'll then walk you through the components of NSX and provide step-by-step instructions to help you install and configure NSX. We also cover all the functional services of NSX, edge services gateway, service composer, and data security. In addition, we'll teach you to integrate partner solutions with NSX. Finally, we show you how to manage your NSX deployment and monitor NSX.
What you will learn
- Explore the foundational components of VMware NSX
- Install and configure NSX manager and its components using best practices
- Deploy and configure VXLAN-enabled logical switches
- Secure your environment using Distributed Firewall and Data Security
- Configure third-party services in NSX
- Manage, configure, and deploy edge gateway services
- Understand software-defined networks
About the Author
Ranjit Singh Thakurratan (RJ) is a VMware vExpert (2014 and 2015) and works as a VMware cloud solutions architect, specializing in architecting Enterprise cloud solutions. He works for Rackspace―the #1 managed cloud company and home of Fanatical Support―which is based out of San Antonio, Texas.
RJ holds a master's degree in information technology―infrastructure assurance, an engineering degree in computer science, and has over ten years of hands-on IT experience. He has presented at numerous VMUG UserCon conferences held at Boston, Washington DC, New York, Denver, and Dallas. He also runs a technology blog, www.rjapproves.com, and can be reached via his Twitter handle―@RJAPPROVES. Apart from technology, RJ is also interested in astrophysics, animal welfare, and open source projects.
One of his favorite quotes is:
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. An Introduction to Network Virtualization
Chapter 2. NSX Core Components
Chapter 3. NSX Installation and Configuration
Chapter 4. NSX Functional Services
Chapter 5. Edge Services Gateway
Chapter 6. Data Security
Chapter 7. Monitoring
Chapter 8. Managing NSX
Chapter 9. Conclusion