- The first book in the market that discusses the power of IBM Bluemix
- Shows developers how to develop and deploy applications on the cloud platform using IBM Bluemix
- A comprehensive guide to help you get started with IBM Bluemix also featuring samples applications
IBM Bluemix is an open standard platform for building, running, and managing applications on the cloud. With Bluemix, developers can build innovative applications using various compute options and value added services , developers can also manage the application lifecycle using the platform provided DevOps services.
Learning IBM Bluemix will take you on a journey from the basics of IBM Bluemix to working with the platform to developing and deploying of modern applications. The sample application use cases employed in the book will introduce you to the transformative nexus of cloud, mobile, and security, all enabled through capabilities provided out-of-the-box by IBM Bluemix.
By the end of the book, you will have understood the benefits and use cases for IBM Bluemix, and will possess the skills to further explore the platform and thus develop, deploy, and secure your own innovative, new-age applications.
What you will learn
- Discover IBM Bluemix as a PaaS platform and learn about its three delivery models
- Develop and deploy a "Hello World" application on IBM Bluemix using the Cloud Foundry command line utility and the Bluemix console
- Extend your application by using the API or services provided by IBM Bluemix
- Understand microservices architecture and learn how to develop a sample application based on microservices architecture, using IBM Bluemix
- Learn how to leverage on-premise software and build an application on IBM Bluemix
- Scale and monitor an application on IBM Bluemix
- Explore the compute options on IBM Bluemix and work with each of them
- Build a mobile client application using Mobile services on IBM Bluemix
About the Author
Sreelatha Sankaranarayanan has close to 16 years of experience in software engineering. She has been with Phoenix Global Solutions (now Tata Consultancy Services) for close to 2.5 years. She is currently with IBM India and has been with them for the last 13.5 years. During her career, she has been part of product development, support, and test teams, primarily working on enterprise middleware products. In her most recent role, she was responsible for evangelizing IBM's cloud platform as-a-service, Bluemix, and has worked with System Integrators, academia, and IBM partners to enable and support them with the adoption of IBM's cloud platform as-a-service, Bluemix. She has coauthored a redbook entitled B2B Solutions using WebSphere Partner Gateway v6.0, authored some developerWorks articles, and some blog posts on the Mobile Enterprise Application Platform (MEAP), Internet of Things (IoT), and cloud platform as-a-service (Bluemix). You can find her on Twitter at @sreelathas and on LinkedIn at https://in.linkedin.com/in/sreelathas.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Saying Hello To Ibm Bluemix
Chapter 2. Building And Deploying Your First Application On Ibm Bluemix
Chapter 3. Extending An Application And Configuring For Continuous Delivery Using Devops Services
Chapter 4. Leveraging On-Premise Software For Applications On Bluemix
Chapter 5. Scaling Applications In Bluemix
Chapter 6. Monitoring And Management In Bluemix
Chapter 7. Compute Options On Bluemix
Chapter 8. Security Services On Bluemix
Chapter 9. Microservices-Based Application Development On Bluemix
Chapter 10. Mobile Application Development On Bluemix