Master Android™ App Development for Amazon’s Bestselling Kindle Fire™—Hands-On, Step-by-Step!
In this book, bestselling Android programming authors Lauren Darcey and Shane Conder teach you every skill and technique you need to write production-quality apps for Amazon Kindle Fire, the world’s hottest Android tablet. You’ll learn the very best way: by building a complete app from start to finish. Every chapter builds on what you’ve already learned, helping you construct, expand, and extend your working app as you move through the entire development lifecycle.
Packed with fully tested, reusable sample code, this book requires absolutely no previous Android or mobile development experience. If you’ve ever written any Java code, you can dive right in and get results fast. Darcey and Conder start with the absolute basics: installing Android development tools, structuring and configuring Kindle Fire apps, and applying crucial design principles associated with high-quality software. Next, building on this strong foundation, you’ll learn how to manage application resources and build application frameworks; integrate user interfaces, logic, and support for networking and web services; test your apps; and publish on the Amazon Appstore.
- Establishing an efficient development environment and setting up your first project
- Mastering Android fundamentals and adapting them to the Kindle Fire
- Building reusable prototypes that define a framework for production projects
- Incorporating strings, graphics, styles, templates, and other app and system resources
- Developing screens, from splash screens and main menus to settings and help
- Displaying dialogs and collecting user input
- Controlling app state, saving settings, and launching specific activities
- Internationalizing Kindle Fire apps to reach wider markets
- Setting application identity and permissions
- Preparing your app for publication