Learn Docker - Fundamentals of Docker 17.x: Enhance your software deployment workflow using containers
Everything you need to know to containerize your applications and prepare them to run in production
- Get up and running with basic to advance concepts of Docker
- Get acquainted with concepts like Docker containers, Docker images, Orchestrators and so on.
- Practical test-based approach towards learning a prominent containerization tool
Docker has entirely changed to picture of software development life-cycle and helped organizations deploy the software at scale. Containerization has gradually taken over the industry and Docker being the best choice, it is becoming the need of every operations engineer, DevOps engineer, system administrator and developer to understand Docker.
This book will start right from scratch, introducing you to the fundamentals of Docker and setting up an environment for working with Docker. Then we will deep dive into concepts like Docker containers, Docker images, Docker Compose and so on. We will also cover the concept of deployment, orchestration, networking, and security. Furthermore, we will be explaining Docker functionalities on public clouds like AWS.
By the end of this book, you will have hands-on experience working with Docker containers and orchestrators such as SwarmKit and Kubernetes.
What you will learn
- Containerize your traditional or modern, microservice based application
- Share or ship your application as immutable container image
- Build a Docker swarm and a Kubernetes cluster in the cloud
- Run a highly distributed application using an orchestrator such as Docker SwarmKit or Kubernetes
- Update or rollback a distributed application with zero downtime
- Secure your applications through the use of encapsulation, software-defined networks, and secrets.
- Know your options when deploying your containerized applications into the cloud
Who This Book Is For
This book is targeted towards system administrators, operations engineers, DevOps engineers, and developer or any stakeholders who are interested in getting started with Docker from scratch.
No prior experience in DOCKER is required.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. What Are Containers and Why Should I Use Them?
Chapter 2. Setting up a Working Environment
Chapter 3. Working with Containers
Chapter 4. Creating and Managing Container Images
Chapter 5. Data Volumes and System Management
Chapter 6. Distributed Application Architecture
Chapter 7. Single-Host Networking
Chapter 8. Docker Compose
Chapter 9. Orchestrators
Chapter 10. Introduction to Docker Swarm
Chapter 11. Zero Downtime Deployments and Secrets
Chapter 12. Introduction to Kubernetes
Chapter 13. Deploying, Updating, and Securing an Application with Kubernetes
Chapter 14. Running a Containerized App in the Cloud