Develop amazing games, visual charts, plots, and graphics for your iPhone
- Seven step by step game projects for you to build
- Cover all aspects from graphics to game ergonomics
- Tips and tricks for all of your iPhone programming
Designing and selling games on the iOS platform has become a phenomenon ever since the introduction of the App Store. With mobile gaming taking the World by storm, users are indulging in all different types of games. iPhone Game Blueprints is a hands on guide to both inspire and help developers, graphic designers, and game enthusiasts to create their own games for iOS devices.
Taking a selection of iPhone game "styles" we will learn how to set the foundation and essential functionality for each game. Including thorough explanations of popular games such as puzzles, arcades, and adventures, as well as useful theoretical and technical concepts. iPhone Game Blueprints is your complete guide to creating great iPhone games, from a simple gesture game to a classic shoot 'em up.
iPhone Game Blueprints guides you through the universe of mobile games, starting with the overall information about game ideas, ergonomic aspects, and much more. Then it switches to a description of each particular game type, presenting ready-to-use ideas and applications.
This book will take you through a selection of iPhone game styles and show how to create the foundation and essential functionality for a game of that genre. The examples in this book are only the beginning.
Including a deluge of practical tips, focusing on the best approach to game design, not forgetting to mention the pitfalls. iPhone Game Blueprints will give you the blueprints of several mobile game's essentials cores. Whether you're just getting started with gaming, or want to try a whole different genre of game, these blueprints are everything you need.
What you will learn from this book
- Prepare game graphics for various types of screen resolutions for iOS devices
- Design games keeping in mind people with disabilities: players with color blindness, perception problems.
- Learn the principles of animation, creating walking cycles and other types of motion
- Decorate and design a game world and game levels, making them truly alive
- Create a digital board game, creating a dedicated card deck of your own, planning rules and rewards.
- Create an action game and platform arcade, with a focus on main character and game world design
- Explore augmented reality building games, which use both the virtual and real world in their gameplay
iPhone Game Blueprints is a practical, hands-on guide with step-by-step instructions leading you through a number of different projects, providing you with the essentials for creating your own iPhone games
Who this book is written for
This book is for graphic designers, developers, illustrators, and simple enthusiasts, who dream about the creation of mobile games or who have already worked in that domain, but need some additional inspiration and knowledge. This book can be considered as an illustrated handbook, worth having in your game development studio. It can work as a 'paper art-director' for your project.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Starting the Game
Chapter 2: Ergonomics
Chapter 3: Gesture Games
Chapter 4: Card and Board Games
Chapter 5: Puzzles
Chapter 6: Platformer
Chapter 7: Adventure
Chapter 8: Action Games
Chapter 9: Games with Reality