This book is intended for use in a first course in Materials Sciences and Engineering taught in the departments of materials science, mechanical, civil and general engineering. It is also a suitable reference for mechanical and civil engineers and machine designers.
Introduction to Materials Science for Engineers provides balanced, current treatment of the full spectrum of engineering materials, covering all the physical properties, applications and relevant properties associated with engineering materials. It explores all of the major categories of materials while also offering detailed examinations of a wide range of new materials with high-tech applications.
MasteringEngineering for Introduction to Materials Science for Engineers is a total learning package. This innovative online program emulates the instructor’s office—hour environment, guiding students through engineering concepts from Introduction to Materials Science for Engineers with self-paced individualized coaching.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience–for you and your students. It provides:
- Individualized Coaching with MasteringEngineering : MasteringEngineering emulates the instructor’s office-hour environment using self-paced individualized coaching.
- A Balanced Approach Designed for a First Course in Engineering Materials: This concise textbook covers concepts and applications of materials science for the beginning student.
- Coverage of the Most Important Advances in Engineering Materials: Content is refreshed to provide the most up-to-date information for your course.
- In-text Features that Reinforce Concepts: An assortment of case studies, examples, practice problems, and homework problems give students plenty of opportunities to develop their understanding.
- Enhance Learning with Instructor Supplements: An Instructors Solution Manual and PowerPoint slides are available to expand on the topics presented in the text.
Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MasteringEngineering does not come packaged with this content. If you would like to purchase both the physical text and MasteringEngineering¿ search for ISBN-10: 0133789713/ISBN-13: 9780133789713. That package includes ISBN-10: 0133826651/ISBN-13: 9780133826654¿ and ISBN-10: 0133828921 /ISBN-13: 9780133828924.
MasteringEngineering is not a self-paced technology and should only be purchased when required by an instructor.¿
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Materials for Engineering
PART I: The Fundamentals
Chapter 2 Atomic Bonding
Chapter 3 Crystalline Structure—Perfection
Chapter 4 Crystal Defects and Noncrystalline Structure—Imperfection
Chapter 5 Diffusion
Chapter 6 Mechanical Behavior
Chapter 7 Thermal Behavior
Chapter 8 Failure Analysis and Prevention
Chapter 9 Phase Diagrams—Equilibrium Microstructural Development
Chapter 10 Kinetics—Heat Treatment
PART II: Materials and Their Applications
Chapter 11 Structural Materials—Metals, Ceramics, and Glasses
Chapter 12 Structural Materials—Polymers and Composites
Chapter 13 Electronic Materials
Chapter 14 Optical and Magnetic Materials
Chapter 15 Materials in Engineering Design
APPENDIX 1 Physical and Chemical Data for the Elements
APPENDIX 2 Atomic and Ionic Radii of the Elements
APPENDIX 3 Constants and Conversion Factors
APPENDIX 4 Properties of the Structural Materials
APPENDIX 5 Properties of the Electronic, Optical, and Magnetic Materials
APPENDIX 6 Glossary