Internet of Things for Architects: Architecting IoT solutions by implementing sensors, communication infrastructure, edge computing, analytics, and security
Learn to design, implement and secure your IoT infrastructure
- Build a complete IoT system that is the best fit for your organization
- Learn about different concepts, technologies, and trade-offs in the IoT architectural stack
- Understand the theory, concepts, and implementation of each element that comprises IoT design-from sensors to the cloud
- Implement best practices to ensure the reliability and scalability of robust communication systems, security, and data analysis in your IoT infrastructure
Industries are embracing IoT technologies to improve operational expenses, product life, and people's well-being. An architectural guide is necessary if you want to traverse the spectrum of technologies needed to build a successful IoT system, whether that's a single device or millions of devices.
Internet of Things for Architects encompasses the entire spectrum of IoT solutions, from sensors to the Cloud. We start by examining modern sensor systems and focus on their power and functionality. After that, we dive deep into communication theory, paying close attention to near-range PAN, including the new Bluetooth® 5.0 specification and mesh networks. Then, we explore IP-based communication in LAN and WAN, including 802.11ah, 5G LTE cellular, SigFox, and LoRaWAN. Next, we cover edge routing and gateways and their role in fog computing, as well as the messaging protocols of MQTT and CoAP.
With the data now in internet form, you'll get an understanding of Cloud and fog architectures, including the OpenFog standards. We wrap up the analytics portion of the book with the application of statistical analysis, complex event processing, and deep learning models.
Finally, we conclude by providing a holistic view of the IoT security stack and the anatomical details of IoT exploits while countering them with software defined perimeters and blockchains.
What you will learn
- Understand the role and scope of architecting a successful IoT deployment, from sensors to the Cloud
- Scan the landscape of IoT technologies that span everything from sensors to the Cloud
- Explore the trade-offs in choices of protocols and communications in IoT deployments
- Build a repertoire of skills and the vernacular necessary to work in the IoT space
- Broaden your skills in multiple engineering domains necessary for the IoT architect
Who This Book Is For
This book is for architects, system designers, technologists, and technology managers who want to understand the IoT ecosphere, various technologies, and trade-offs and develop a 50,000-foot view of the IoT architecture.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. The IoT Hype
Chapter 2. IoT Architecture and Core IoT Modules
Chapter 3. Sensors, Endpoints, and Power Systems
Chapter 4. Communications and Information Theory
Chapter 5. Non-IP Based WPAN
Chapter 6. IP-Based WPAN and WLAN
Chapter 7. Long Range Communication Systems and Protocols (WAN)
Chapter 8. Routers and Gateways
Chapter 9. IoT Edge to Cloud Protocols
Chapter 10. Cloud and Fog Topologies
Chapter 11. Data Analytics and Machine Learning in the Cloud and in the Fog
Chapter 12. IoT Security
Chapter 13. Consortiums and Communities