- This is the first book on the market that delivers desktops and applications through a single Virtual Desktop Infrastructure platform
- Reduce enterprise costs by dynamically allocating resources with virtual storage, compute and networking
- This comprehensive guide provides simplified operations, improved security, and accelerated time-to-value using VMware Horizon 7
VMware Horizon 7 has been a buzz since it was announced. One of the major reasons is the introduction of the new Instant Clones feature. This book will complement the product documentation by providing real-life examples of how it is implemented along with the latest features and components of the platform.
We'll explore the latest features of the platform, including those added through product acquisitions such as User Environment Manager and App Volumes. Further on, you will also be introduced to the new capabilities added to the core product such Linked-Clone RDS pools.
Upon completion of this book, you will have an understanding of the capabilities and benefits VMware Horizon can provide to your organization, and how each of its components are implemented.
What you will learn
- Walk through the configuration of VMware Horizon, including the new Horizon Access Point appliance
- Implement a multi-site VMware Horizon pod using the Cloud Pod Architecture feature
- Understand the integration between VMware Horizon and VSAN, and see how they are deployed together
- Explore how to implement and maintain Microsoft RDS and Linux and Windows Desktop Pools Create and optimize desktop master images.
- Understand how to manage the SSL certificates for each of the VMware Horizon components.
About the Author
Jason Ventresco is a 17 year veteran of the IT field, and currently works for EMC2 as a Consultant Solutions Engineer. In that role he architects, builds, and tests the latest end user computing solutions to validate their performance and provide guidance to EMC2 customers and partners.
Jason previously worked as a member of the Global Infrastructure team for FHI 360, and as an IT consultant for WorkSmart and Xerox Global Services. Jason previously published the books Implementing VMware Horizon View 5.2, VMware Horizon View 5.3 Design Patterns and Best Practices, and VMware Horizon View 6 Desktop Virtualization Cookbook.
Jason lives in Raleigh, North Carolina with his wife, Christine, and daughter, Amanda. He holds two degrees, a Master of Science in Information Assurance from Norwich University, and a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology from the University of Phoenix. In his free time, he likes to travel, go boating, and attend Carolina Hurricanes games.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. VMware Horizon Infrastructure Overview
Chapter 2. Implementing Horizon Connection Server
Chapter 3. Implementing Horizon Composer
Chapter 4. Implementing Horizon Security Server
Chapter 5. Implementing VMware Horizon Access Point
Chapter 6. Implementing a Horizon Cloud Pod
Chapter 7. Using VMware Virtual SAN with Horizon
Chapter 8. Implementing VMware User Environment Manager
Chapter 9. Implementing VMware App Volumes
Chapter 10. Creating Horizon Desktop Pools
Chapter 11. Implementing Horizon Application Pools
Chapter 12. Performing Horizon Desktop Pool Maintenance
Chapter 13. Creating a Master Horizon Desktop Image
Chapter 14. Managing Horizon SSL Certificates
Chapter 15. Using Horizon PowerCLI