Whether you’re promoting your business or writing about your travel adventures, Head First WordPress will teach you not only how to make your blog look unique and attention-grabbing, but also how to dig into the more complex features of WordPress 3.0 to make your website work well, too.
You’ll learn how to move beyond the standard WordPress look and feel by customizing your blog with your own URL, templates, plugin functionality, and more. As you learn, you’ll be working with real WordPress files: The book’s website provides pre-fab WordPress themes to download and work with as you follow along with the text.
- Gain immediate experience with WordPress 3.0, the June 2010 release of the software
- Get your site up and running by setting up a MySQL database and creating configuration files
- Work with the WordPress platform to create posts and pages, learn the difference between tags and categories, edit content, moderate comments, and manage spam
- Explore how to extend WordPress with plugins and templates
- Convert custom designs (in HTML and CSS) into functional themes and use them in WordPress
We think your time is too valuable to waste struggling with new concepts. Using the latest research in cognitive science and learning theory to craft a multi-sensory learning experience, Head First WordPress uses a visually rich format designed for the way your brain works, not a text-heavy approach that puts you to sleep.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Getting Started: WordPress from Scratch
Chapter 2. Changing Your Blog’s Look and Feel: A Question of Style
Chapter 3. Content Management with WordPress: Beyond The Blog
Chapter 4. Users, Categories, and Tags: Keeping Things Organized
Chapter 5. Video and Plug-ins: Getting Things Moving
Chapter 6. Podcasting and Syndication: Spreading the Word
Chapter 7. Securing WordPress: Locking Things Down
Chapter 8. Making WordPress Fast: Time for The Passing Lane
Appendix: Leftovers: The Top Ten Things(we didn’t cover)