Operating System is the main system software which is responsible for the flawless working of the machine. Some Operating Systems are designed for some specific purposes. Though we could use them for anything we want to, but they have some special tools or services available feasibly to its users which makes it a good OS for the specific purpose. Like we generally prefer Windows in case of gaming as most of the games are available for windows itself. Likewise, we prefer mac OS for designing related purposes as most of the designing software is easily available for mac and can be used flawlessly. In the same way when we have an OS for Network Security, Digital Forensics, Penetration testing, or Ethical Hacking named Kali Linux.
Kali Linux is a Debian-derived Linux distribution that is maintained by Offensive Security. It was developed by Mati Aharoni and Devon Kearns. Kali Linux is a specially designed OS for network analysts, Penetration testers, or in simple words, it is for those who work under the umbrella of cybersecurity and analysis. It gained its popularity when it was practically used in Mr. Robot Series. It was not designed for general purposes, it is supposed to be used by professionals or by those who know how to operate Linux/Kali. To know how to install Kali Linux check its official documentation.
- It has 600+ Penetration testing and network security tools pre-installed.
- It is completely free and open source. So you can use it for free and even contribute for its development.
- It supports many laguages.
- Great for those who are intermediate in linux and have their hands on Linux commands.
- Could be easily used with Rasberry Pi.
- It is not recommended for those who are new to linux and want to learn linux.(As it is Penetration Oriented)
- It is a bit slower.
- Some software may malfunction.
Kali Linux is to be used by those who are professional penetration testers, cybersecurity experts, ethical hackers, or those who know how to operate it. In simple words, if you know how to use Linux and its terminal commands, architecture, system, and file management then you are good to go with Kali Linux. And if you are not, then we will recommend you first start with ubuntu distribution and get your hands on Linux and after sufficient practice, you could give Kali Linux a try. This will not only save your time of searching on the internet but also will make you use it with ease. However, if you’re a professional penetration tester or studying penetration testing, there’s no better toolkit than Kali Linux.
- Title: Hacking: Linux Basics for Hackers
- Author: Alexander Aronowitz
- Length: 155 pages
- Edition: 1
- Language: English
- Publication Date: 2020-09-05
- ISBN-10: B08HHS5BDV