Explore Twisted, the Python-based event-driven networking engine, and review several of its most popular application projects. It is written by community leaders who have contributed to many of the projects covered, and share their hard-won insights and experience.
Expert Twisted starts with an introduction to event-driven programming, explaining it in the context of what makes Twisted unique. It shows how Twisted's design emphasizes testability as a solution to common challenges of reliability, debugging, and start-to-finish causality that are inherent in event-driven programming. It also explains asynchronous programming, and the importance of functions, deferreds, and coroutines. It then uses two popular applications, treq and klein, to demonstrate calling and writing Web APIs with Twisted.
The second part of the book dives into Twisted projects, in each case explaining how the project fits into the Twisted ecosystem and what it does, and offers several examples to bring readers up to speed, with pointers to additional resources for more depth. Examples include using Twisted with Docker, as a WSGI container, for file sharing, and more.
What You'll Learn
- Integrate Twisted and asyncio using adapters
- Automate software build, test, and release processes with Buildbot
- Create clients and servers with Autobahn
- Transfer files with Magic Wormhole
- Distribute cloud-based file storage with Tahoe LAFS
- Understand HTTP/2 with Python and Twisted
- Support for asynchronous tasks using Django Channels
Who This Book Is For
Readers should have some Python experience and understand the essentials of containers and protocols, but need not be familiar with Twisted or the associated projects covered in the book.
- Title: Expert Twisted: Event-Driven and Asynchronous Programming with Python
- Author: Brian Warner, Cory Benfield, Dustin Mitchell, Kevin Samuel, Mark Williams, Moshe Zadka, Pierre Tardy
- Length: 382 pages
- Edition: 1st ed.
- Language: English
- Publisher: Apress
- Publication Date: 2019-02-04
- ISBN-10: 1484237412
- ISBN-13: 9781484237410