ESSENTIALS OF STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT, Third Edition, is a brief version of the authors' market-leading text STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT: AN INTEGRATED APPROACH, helping students identify and focus on core concepts in the field in a more succinct, streamlined format. Based on real-world practices and current thinking, the text's presentation of strategic management features an increased emphasis on the "business model" concept as a way of framing the issues of competitive advantage. Cutting-edge research, new strategic management theory, and a hands-on approach allow students to explore major topics in management, including corporate performance, governance, strategic leadership, technology, and business ethics. Its high-quality case program examines small, medium, and large companies--both domestic and international--so that students gain practice putting chapter concepts into action.
Table of Contents
Part I: INTRODUCTION TO STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT.
1. The Strategy-Making Process.
2. Stakeholders, the Mission, Governance, and Business Ethics.
Part II: THE NATURE OF COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE.
3. External Analysis: The Identification of Opportunities and Threats.
4. Building Competitive Advantage.
Part III: BUILDING AND SUSTAINING LONG-RUN COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE.
5. Business-Level Strategy and Competitive Positioning.
6. Strategy in the Global Environment.
7. Corporate-Level Strategy and Long-Run Profitability.
Part IV: STRATEGY IMPLEMENTATION.
8. Strategic Change: Implementing Strategies to Build and Develop a Company.
9. Implementing Strategy through Organizational Design.
Part V: Cases.