Enterprise Network Testing
Testing Throughout the Network Lifecycle to Maximize Availability and Performance
Andy Sholomon, CCIE® No. 15179
Tom Kunath, CCIE No. 1679
The complete guide to using testing to reduce risk and downtime in advanced enterprise networks
Testing has become crucial to meeting enterprise expectations of near-zero network downtime. Enterprise Network Testing is the first comprehensive guide to all facets of enterprise network testing. Cisco enterprise consultants Andy Sholomon and Tom Kunath offer a complete blueprint and best-practice methodologies for testing any new network system, product, solution, or advanced technology.
Sholomon and Kunath begin by explaining why it is important to test and how network professionals can leverage structured system testing to meet specific business goals. Then, drawing on their extensive experience with enterprise clients, they present several detailed case studies. Through real-world examples, you learn how to test architectural “proofs of concept,” specific network features, network readiness for use, migration processes, security, and more.
Enterprise Network Testing contains easy-to-adapt reference test plans for branches, WANs/MANs, data centers, and campuses. The authors also offer specific guidance on testing many key network technologies, including MPLS/VPN, QoS, VoIP, video, IPsec VPNs, advanced routing (OSPF, EIGRP, BGP), and Data Center Fabrics.
- Understand why, when, and how you should test your network
- Use testing to discover critical network design flaws
- Incorporate structured systems testing into enterprise architecture strategy
- Utilize testing to improve decision-making throughout the network lifecycle
- Develop an effective testing organization and lab facility
- Choose and use test services providers
- Scope, plan, and manage network test assignments
- nLeverage the best commercial, free, and IOS test tools
- Successfully execute test plans, including crucial low-level details
- Minimize the equipment required to test large-scale networks
- Identify gaps in network readiness
- Validate and refine device configurations
- Certify new hardware, operating systems, and software features
- Test data center performance and scalability
- Leverage test labs for hands-on technology training
This book is part of the Networking Technology Series from Cisco Press®, which offers networking professionals valuable information for constructing efficient networks, understanding new technologies, and building successful careers.