Create your own line of successful web applications with Django
About This Book
- Learn Django by building four fully-functional, real-world web applications from scratch
- Develop powerful web applications quickly using the best coding practices
- Integrate other technologies into your application with clear, step-by-step explanations and comprehensive example code
Who This Book Is For
What You Will Learn
- Build practical real-world web applications with Django
- Use Django with other technologies such as Redis, Celery, Solr and Memcached
- Develop pluggable Django applications
- Create advanced features, optimize your code and use the cache framework
- Add internationalization to your Django projects
- Add social features to your projects
- Build RESTful APIs for your applications
Django is a powerful Python web framework designed to develop web applications quickly, from simple prototypes to large-scale projects. Django encourages clean, pragmatic design, and provides developers with a comprehensive set of tools to build scalable web applications.
This book will walk you through the creation of four professional Django projects, teaching you how to solve common problems and implement best practices.
The book begins by showing you how to build a blog application, before moving on to developing a social image bookmarking website, an online shop and an e-learning platform. You will learn how to build a search engine and implement a user activity stream. Furthermore, you will create a recommendation engine, an e-commerce coupon system and a content management system. The book will also teach you how to enhance your applications with AJAX, create RESTful APIs and setup a production environment for your Django projects.
After reading this book, you will have a good understanding of how Django works and how to integrate it with other technologies to build practical, advanced, web applications.
Style and approach
This is an easy-to-follow guide to building four different production-ready Django projects. Each project focuses on a particular area of the framework and each topic within the projects is explained with practical examples and includes best practice recommendations.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Building a Blog Application
Chapter 2: Enhancing Your Blog with Advanced Features
Chapter 3: Extending Your Blog Application
Chapter 4: Building a Social Website
Chapter 5: Sharing Content in Your Website
Chapter 6: Tracking User Actions
Chapter 7: Building an Online Shop
Chapter 8: Managing Payments and Orders
Chapter 9: Extending Your Shop
Chapter 10: Building an e-Learning Platform
Chapter 11: Caching Content
Chapter 12: Building an API