Develop fully-featured mobile applications using a hands-on approach, and get inspired to develop more
- Allows anyone familiar with some Object-oriented Programming (OOP), reusable components, AJAX closures take their ideas and heighten their knowledge of mobile development
- Full of examples, illustrations, and tips with an easy-to-follow and fun style to make app development fun and easy
- Get empowered to build your own apps from the knowledge gained from this book
Smartphones and tablets have really changed the technological landscape over the last 3-4 years. Much like the web did in the last decade, these powerful tools have changed the way people communicate and access information. Such a wide market creates opportunities for developers who have the skills to develop mobile applications.
This book begins with a look at what the Titanium platform has to offer. By taking you through clear tutorials on developing each application step-by-step, it helps you to apply your newly acquired knowledge afterwards. The difficulty level gradually increases along the course of the book.
Each application from this book covers different aspects of mobile development. Every chapter starts by defining the application’s features as well as the user interface structure. Every single code section is then explained and put into context allowing you to gain a clear understanding of their purpose and functionality. The book takes a “small milestone” approach, allowing you to actually run the application and see the progression. Every step is accompanied by many screenshots so you can see the expected result on screen.
You will learn everything you need to know to develop your very own mobile applications. The book takes a laid-back approach to Titanium development and provides information in a way designed to never overwhelm the reader with information and also uses clear diagrams, screenshots, and tips throughout.
What you will learn from this book
- Create full-fledged applications using native components
- Save your data using a database and interact with it using SQL
- Interact with web services to retrieve data from external sources
- Make your own adventure game (Japanese RPG style)
- Bring a friend along on your epic adventure by adding online multiplayer to your game
- Use Geolocation to interact localized data and display it on a map
- Store your information in a centralized form using Appcelerator Cloud Services (ACS) and share this information with other users
- Integrate your applications with popular social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter
"Creating Mobile Apps with Appcelerator Titanium" provides a hands-on approach and working examples on creating apps and games as well as embedding them onto a social networking website. Developers can then move on from there to develop their own applications based on the ones they have developed throughout the course of this book.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Stopwatch (with Lap Counter)
Chapter 2: Sili, the assistant that just listens
Chapter 3: The To-do List
Chapter 4: Interactive E-book for iPad
Chapter 5: You've Got to Know When to Hold 'em
Chapter 6: JRPG – Second to Last Fantasy
Chapter 7: JRPG – Second to Last Fantasy Online
Chapter 8: Social Networks
Chapter 9: Marvels of the World around Us
Chapter 10: Worldwide Marco Polo