Learn continuous deployment and automation with code-signing, continuous testing, building, deploying, and releasing of your app.
- A practical guide on automating your mobile development pipeline with Fastlane, Jenkins, and Slack.
- Build, test, run and deploy your mobile application release with this end to end guide.
- Implement Continuous Integration, delivery, and deployment practices to optimize your application development workflow for faster and efficient release builds.
Competitive mobile apps depend strongly on the development team's ability to deliver successful releases, consistently and often. Although continuous integration took a more mainstream priority among the development industry, companies are starting to realize the importance of continuity beyond integration and testing.
This book starts off with a brief introduction to fastlane-a robust command-line tool that enables iOS and Android developers to automate their releasing workflow.
The book then explores and guides you through all of its features and utilities; it provides the reader a comprehensive understanding of the tool and how to implement them. Themes include setting up and managing your certificates and provisioning and push notification profiles; automating the creation of apps and managing the app metadata on iTunes Connect and the Apple Developer Portal; and building, distributing and publishing your apps to the App Store.
You will also learn how to automate the generation of localized screenshots and mesh your continuous delivery workflow into a continuous integration workflow for a more robust setup. By the end of the book, you will gain substantial knowledge on delivering bug free, developer-independent, and stable application release cycle.
What you will learn
- Harness the fastlane tools for the Continuous Deployment strategy
- Integrate Continuous Deployment with existing Continuous Integration.
- Automate upload of screenshots across all device screen-sizes
- Manage push notifications, provisioning profiles, and code-signing certificates
- Orchestrate automated build and deployments of new versions of your app
- Regulate your TestFlight users and on-board new testers
Who This Book Is For
This book is intended for mobile developers who are keen on incorporating Continuous integration and deployment practices in their workflow.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Introduction to fastlane and Continuous Deployment
Chapter 2. Setting up fastlane and Our Sample Project
Chapter 3. Manage Provisioning Profiles with sigh
Chapter 4. Manage Code Signing Certificates with cert
Chapter 5. Sync Profiles and Certificates with match
Chapter 6. Manage Push Notification Profiles with pem
Chapter 7. Creating Our iOS and Android Apps with produce and supply
Chapter 8. Build and Package Apps for the App Store with gym
Chapter 9. Distribute to Testers with TestFlight and Crashlytics
Chapter 10. Review your App metadata with Precheck
Chapter 11. Taking Localized Screenshots with snapshot
Chapter 12. Put Our Screenshots Inside Frames with Frameit
Chapter 13. Upload Screenshots and Metadata with deliver
Chapter 14. Automate Unit Tests with scan
Chapter 15. Integrating Git into the Fastlane Workflow
Chapter 16. Creating and Using fastlane Action Plugins
Chapter 17. Integrating Slack into the fastlane Workflow
Chapter 18. Continuous Delivery Best Practices