The Computer Organization and Design, 5th Edition moves forward into the post-PC era with new examples, exercises, and material highlighting the emergence of mobile computing and the cloud. This generational change is emphasized and explored with updated content featuring tablet computers, cloud infrastructure, and the ARM (mobile computing devices) and x86 (cloud computing) architectures.
Because an understanding of modern hardware is essential to achieving good performance and energy efficiency, this edition adds a new concrete example, "Going Faster," used throughout the text to demonstrate extremely effective optimization techniques. Also new to this edition is discussion of the "Eight Great Ideas" of computer architecture.
As with previous editions, a MIPS processor is the core used to present the fundamentals of hardware technologies, assembly language, computer arithmetic, pipelining, memory hierarchies and I/O.
Instructors looking for 4th Edition teaching materials should e-mail [email protected]
- Includes new examples, exercises, and material highlighting the emergence of mobile computing and the Cloud.
- Covers parallelism in depth with examples and content highlighting parallel hardware and software topics
- Features the Intel Core i7, ARM Cortex-A8 and NVIDIA Fermi GPU as real-world examples throughout the book
- Adds a new concrete example, "Going Faster," to demonstrate how understanding hardware can inspire software optimizations that improve performance by 200 times.
- Discusses and highlights the "Eight Great Ideas" of computer architecture: Performance via Parallelism; Performance via Pipelining; Performance via Prediction; Design for Moore's Law; Hierarchy of Memories; Abstraction to Simplify Design; Make the Common Case Fast; and Dependability via Redundancy.
- Includes a full set of updated and improved exercises.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Computer Abstractions and Technology
Chapter 2. Instructions: Language of the Computer
Chapter 3. Arithmetic for Computers
Chapter 4. The Processor
Chapter 5. Large and Fast: Exploiting Memory Hierarchy
Chapter 6. Parallel Processors from Client to Cloud
Appendix A. Assemblers, Linkers, and the SPIM Simulator
Appendix B. The Basics of Logic Design
Appendix C. Graphics and Computing GPUs
Appendix D. Mapping Control to Hardware
Appendix E. A Survey of RISC Architectures for Desktop, Server, and Embedded Computers
Book DownloadTry Audible and Get 2 Free Audiobooks »
|Download Link||Format||Size (MB)||Upload Date|
|Download from FilePi||PDF, EPUB||34.8||02/05/2015|
|Download from NitroFlare||True PDF||34.8||12/08/2016|
|Download from UpLoaded||True PDF||34.8||01/05/2017|
|Download from ZippyShare||True PDF||34.8||10/13/2016|
|Download from ZippyShare||True PDF||34.8||03/31/2017|