- Provides the core skills required to become a Ruby programmer
- Covers how to use the most popular Ruby Gem libraries
- Includes details on regular expressions
Ruby is a powerful, general-purpose programming language that can be applied to any task. Whether you are an experienced developer who wants to learn a new language or you are new to programming, this book is your comprehensive Ruby coding guide. Starting with the foundational principles, such as syntax, and scaling up to advanced topics such as big data analysis, this book will give you all of the tools you need to be a professional Ruby developer. A few of the key topics are: object-oriented programming, built-in Ruby methods, core programming skills, and an introduction to the Ruby on Rails and Sinatra web frameworks. You will also build 10 practical Ruby programs.
Created by an experienced Ruby developer, this book has been written to ensure it focuses on the skills you will need to be a professional Ruby developer. After you have read this book, you will be ready to start building real-world Ruby projects.
What you will learn
- Learn how to use Ruby code effectively, picking the right tool for the job and not duplicating built-in functionality
- Gain best software development practices, and how to identify and fix common errors
- Absorb core programming skills, such as variables, strings, loops, conditionals, and much more
- Explore object-oriented programming and learn to create modular, reusable code that you can use across projects
- Build 10 practical Ruby programs as you work through the book on topics such as big data analysis and solving Euler equations
About the Author
Jordan Hudgens is the CTO and founder of DevCamp, where he leads instruction and curriculum development for all the DevCamp and Bottega code schools around the US.
As a developer over the past decade, Jordan has traveled the world building applications and training individuals on a wide variety of topics, including Ruby development, big data analysis, and software engineering.
Jordan focuses on project-driven education as opposed to theory-based development. This style of teaching is conducive to learning how to build real-world products that adhere to industry best practices.
Additionally, Jordan has published multiple books on programming and computer science along with developing training curriculum for Learn.co, DevCamp, and AppDev on the topics, namely Ruby on Rails, Java, AngularJS, NoSQL, API development, and algorithms.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Introduction to the Ruby Programming Language
Chapter 2. Ruby variables
Chapter 3. Ruby Strings
Chapter 4. Working with Numbers in Ruby
Chapter 5. Ruby Methods
Chapter 6. Ruby Iterators and Loops
Chapter 7. Ruby Collections
Chapter 8. Ruby Conditionals
Chapter 9. Object-oriented Programming in Ruby
Chapter 10. Working with the File System in Ruby
Chapter 11. Error handling in Ruby
Chapter 12. Regular Expressions in Ruby
Chapter 13. Searching with grep in Ruby
Chapter 14. Ruby Gems
Chapter 15. Ruby Metaprogramming
Chapter 16. Ruby Web Frameworks
Chapter 17. Working with APIs in Ruby
Chapter 18. Ruby Algorithms
Chapter 19. Machine Learning