A comprehensive guide for beginners to learn the key concepts, real-world applications, and latest features of C# 9 and .NET 5 with hands-on exercises using VS Code
- Explore the newest additions to C# 9, the .NET 5 class library, Entity Framework Core and Blazor
- Strengthen your command of ASP.NET Core 5.0 and create professional websites and services
- Build cross-platform apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android
In C# 9 and .NET 5 – Modern Cross-Platform Development, Fifth Edition, expert teacher Mark J. Price gives you everything you need to start programming C# applications.
This latest edition uses the popular Visual Studio Code editor to work across all major operating systems. It is fully updated and expanded with a new chapter on the Microsoft Blazor framework.
The book's first part teaches the fundamentals of C#, including object-oriented programming and new C# 9 features such as top-level programs, target-typed new object instantiation, and immutable types using the record keyword. Part 2 covers the .NET APIs, for performing tasks like managing and querying data, monitoring and improving performance, and working with the file system, async streams, serialization, and encryption. Part 3 provides examples of cross-platform apps you can build and deploy, such as websites and services using ASP.NET Core or mobile apps using Xamarin.Forms.
By the end of the book, you will have acquired the understanding and skills you need to use C# 9 and .NET 5 to create websites, services, and mobile apps.
What you will learn
- Build your own types with object-oriented programming
- Query and manipulate data using LINQ
- Build websites and services using ASP.NET Core 5
- Create intelligent apps using machine learning
- Use Entity Framework Core and work with relational databases
- Discover Windows app development using the Universal Windows Platform and XAML
- Build rich web experiences using the Blazor framework
- Build mobile applications for iOS and Android using Xamarin.Forms
Who this book is for
This book is best for C# and .NET beginners, or programmers who have worked with C# in the past but feel left behind by the changes in the past few years. This book doesn't expect you to have any C# or .NET experience; however, you should have a general understanding of programming.
Students and professionals with a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) background can certainly benefit from this book.
Table of Contents
- Hello, C#! Welcome, .NET Core!
- Speaking C#
- Controlling Flow and Converting Types
- Writing, Debugging, and Testing Functions
- Building Your Own Types with Object-Oriented Programming
- Implementing Interfaces and Inheriting Classes
- Understanding and Packaging .NET Types
- Working with Common .NET Types
- Working with Files, Streams, and Serialization
- Protecting Your Data and Applications
- Working with Databases Using Entity Framework Core
- Querying and Manipulating Data with LINQ
- Improving Performance and Scalability with Multitasking
- Introducing Practical Applications of C# and .NET
- Building Websites Using ASP.NET Core Razor Pages
- Building Websites Using the Model-View-Controller Pattern
- Building Websites Using a Content Management System
- Building and Consuming Web Services
- Building Intelligent Apps Using Machine Learning
- Building Web User Interfaces Using Blazor
- Building Cross-Platform Mobile Apps Using Xamarin.Forms
- Appendix A (Bonus Chapter)
- Appendix B (Bonus Chapter)