Modern Cross-Platform Development
About This Book
- Build modern, cross-platform applications with .NET Core
- Get up to speed with C#, and up to date with all the latest features of C# 7
- Start creating professional web applications with ASP.NET Core
Who This Book Is For
This book is targeted towards readers who have some prior programming experience or have a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) background, and want to gain a solid foundation with C# and to be introduced to the types of applications they could build and will work cross-platform on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
What You Will Learn
- Build cross-platform applications using C# 7 and .NET Core
- Explore ASP.NET Core and learn how to create professional web applications
- Improve your application's performance using multitasking
- Use Entity Framework Core and find out how to build code-first databases
- Master object-oriented programming with C# to increase code reuse and efficiency
- Familiarize yourself with cross-device app development using the Universal Windows Platform and XAML
- Query and manipulate data using LINQ
- Protect your data by using encryption and hashing
If you want to build powerful cross-platform applications with C# 7 and .NET Core, then this book is for you.
First, we'll run you through the basics of C#, as well as object-oriented programming, before taking a quick tour through the latest features of C# 7 such as tuples, pattern matching, out variables, and so on.
After quickly taking you through C# and how .NET works, we'll dive into the .NET Standard 1.6 class libraries, covering topics such as performance, monitoring, debugging, serialization and encryption.
The final section will demonstrate the major types of application that you can build and deploy cross-device and cross-platform. In this section, we'll cover Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps, web applications, mobile apps, and web services. Lastly, we'll look at how you can package and deploy your applications so that they can be hosted on all of today's most popular platforms, including Linux and Docker.
By the end of the book, you'll be armed with all the knowledge you need to build modern, cross-platform applications using C# and .NET Core.
Style and approach
This book takes a step-by-step approach and is filled with exciting projects and fascinating theory. It uses three high-impact sections to equip you with all the tools you'll need to build modern, cross-platform applications using C# and .NET Core.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Hello, C#! Welcome, .NET Core!
Chapter 2. Speaking C#
Chapter 3. Controlling the Flow, Converting Types, and Handling Exceptions
Chapter 4. Using .NET Standard Types
Chapter 5. Debugging, Monitoring, and Testing
Chapter 6. Building Your Own Types with Object-Oriented Programming
Chapter 7. Implementing Interfaces and Inheriting Classes
Chapter 8. Working with Databases Using the Entity Framework Core
Chapter 9. Querying and Manipulating Data with LINQ
Chapter 10. Working with Files, Streams, and Serialization
Chapter 11. Protecting Your Data
Chapter 12. Improving Performance and Scalability with Multitasking
Chapter 13. Building Universal Windows Platform Apps Using XAML
Chapter 14. Building Web Applications Using ASP.NET Core MVC
Chapter 15. Building Mobile Apps Using Xamarin.Forms and ASP.NET Core Web API