Beginning SQL Server 2012 for Developers is the perfect book for developers new to SQL Server and planning to create and deploy applications against Microsoft’s market-leading database system for the Windows platform. Now in its third edition, the book is enhanced to cover the very latest developments in SQL Server 2012.
Also new in the book is coverage of the no-cost Express Edition. Whether you have no knowledge of databases, or have knowledge of desktop databases such as Microsoft Access, or even come from another brand such as Oracle Database, Beginning SQL Server 2012 for Developers provides the insights to get up and running with SQL Server 2012.
Within the book, there are plenty of examples of tasks that developers routinely perform. You’ll learn to create tables and indexes, and best practices for securing your valuable data. You’ll learn design tradeoffs and find out how to make sound decisions resulting in scalable databases and maintainable code.
Beginning SQL Server 2012 for Developers takes you through the entire database development process, from installing the software to creating a database to writing the code to connect to that database and move data in and out. By the end of the book, you’ll be able to design and create solid and reliable database solutions using SQL Server 2012.
- Takes you through the entire database application development lifecycle
- Includes brand new coverage of SQL Server 2012 features
- Introduces the freely-available Express Edition
What you’ll learn
- How to install SQL Server 2012
- How to build a database application from start to finish
- How to create tables and indices to manage your data
- How to write stored code to execute directly in the database server
- How to back up, recover, and otherwise maintain your database
- How to connect to your database from client languages such as C# and VB .NET
Who this book is for
Beginning SQL Server 2012 for Developers is ideal for developers starting out with SQL Server 2012. There is no prerequisite background in developing database applications. Developers from other platforms and those brand new to database programming alike will find in Beginning SQL Server 2012 for Developers an excellent introduction to using and programming Microsoft’s database platform.
Table of Contents
- Overview and Installation
- SQL Server Management Studio
- Database Design and Creation
- Security and Compliance
- Defining Tables
- Creating Indexes and Database Diagramming
- Database Backups and Recovery
- Database Maintenance
- Inserting and Deleting Data
- Selecting and Updating Data
- Building a View
- Stored Procedures, Functions, and Security
- Essentials for Effective Coding
- Advanced T-SQL
- Connecting from Client Code