- Learn how to leverage various Amazon Web Services (AWS) components and services to build a secure, reliable, and robust environment to host your applications on
- Deep dive into the core AWS service offerings with hands-on tutorials, real-world use case scenarios, and best practices
- A self-paced, systematic, and step-by-step guide to learning and implementing AWS in your own environment
AWS is at the forefront of Cloud Computing today. Many businesses are moving away from traditional datacenters and toward AWS because of its reliability, vast service offerings, lower costs, and high rate of innovation. Because of its versatility and flexible design, AWS can be used to accomplish a variety of simple and complicated tasks such as hosting multitier websites, running large scale parallel processing, content delivery, petabyte storage and archival, and lots more.
Whether you are a seasoned sysadmin or a rookie, this book will provide you with all the necessary skills to design, deploy, and manage your applications on the AWS cloud platform. The book guides you through the core AWS services such as IAM, EC2, VPC, RDS, and S3 using a simple real world application hosting example that you can relate to. Each chapter is designed to provide you with the most information possible about a particular AWS service coupled with easy to follow hands-on steps, best practices, tips, and recommendations.
By the end of the book, you will be able to create a highly secure, fault tolerant, and scalable environment for your applications to run on.
What you will learn
- A brief introduction to Cloud Computing and AWS accompanied by steps to sign up for your first AWS account
- Create and manage users, groups, and permissions using AWSS Identity and Access Management services
- Get started with deploying and accessing EC2 instances, working with EBS Volumes and Snapshots
- Customize and create your very own Amazon Machine Image
- Design and deploy your instances on a highly secured, network isolated environment using Amazon VPC
- Effectively monitor your AWS environment using specialized alarms, custom monitoring metrics, and much more
- Explore the various benefits of Database-as-a-Service offerings and leverage them using Amazon RDS and Amazon DynamoDB
- Take an in-depth look at what's new with AWS, including EC2 Container Service and Elastic File System
About the Author
Yohan Wadia is a client-focused virtualization and cloud expert with 6 years of experience in the IT industry.
He has been involved in conceptualizing, designing, and implementing large-scale solutions for a variety of enterprise customers based on VMware vCloud, Amazon Web Services, and Eucalyptus Private Cloud.
His community-focused involvement also enables him to share his passion for virtualization and cloud technologies with peers through social media engagements, public speaking at industry events, and through his personal blog―yoyoclouds.com
He is currently working with an IT services and consultancy company as a Cloud Solutions Lead and is involved in designing and building enterprise-level cloud solutions for internal as well as external customers. He is also a VMware Certified Professional and a vExpert (2012 and 2013).
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Introducing Amazon Web Services
Chapter 2. Security and Access Management
Chapter 3. Images and Instances
Chapter 4. Security, Storage, Networking, and Lots More!
Chapter 5. Building Your Own Private Clouds Using Amazon VPC
Chapter 6. Monitoring Your AWS Infrastructure
Chapter 7. Manage Your Applications with Auto Scaling and Elastic Load Balancing
Chapter 8. Database-as-a-Service Using Amazon RDS
Chapter 9. Working with Simple Storage Service
Chapter 10. Extended AWS Services for Your Applications