Advanced Reading Power, by Beatrice S. Mikulecky and Linda Jeffries, is a student-centered reading skills textbook based on a cognitive skills approach. Its four key sections, designed to be used concurrently, help advanced students master reading skills needed for academic success:
- Extensive Reading helps students to build reading fluency, increase comprehension, and broaden vocabulary.
- Vocabulary Building includes numerous strategies for learning vocabulary, including using context clues, analyzing word parts, and noticing collocations.
- Comprehension Skills teaches reading skills, such as making inferences, recognizing patterns of organization, and reading critically.
- Reading Faster features high-interest, nonfiction selections that help students improve their reading rate and flexibility.
- A variety of authentic reading selections, including excerpts from college textbooks, promotes purposeful reading.
- Focus on Vocabulary sections provide practice with academic vocabulary from the unit.
- Comprehension exercises encourage students to interact with the text and develop an awareness of their own reading and thinking processes.
The Reading Power series also includes:
- Basic Reading Power 1 (Third Edition): Beginning
- Reading Power 2 (4th Edition): Intermediate
- More Reading Power 3: High-Intermediate