Using Continuous Delivery, you can bring software into production more rapidly, with greater reliability. A Practical Guide to Continuous Delivery is a 100% practical guide to building Continuous Delivery pipelines that automate rollouts, improve reproducibility, and dramatically reduce risk.
Eberhard Wolff introduces a proven Continuous Delivery technology stack, including Docker, Chef, Vagrant, Jenkins, Graphite, the ELK stack, JBehave, and Gatling. He guides you through applying these technologies throughout build, continuous integration, load testing, acceptance testing, and monitoring. Wolff’s start-to-finish example projects offer the basis for your own experimentation, pilot programs, and full-fledged deployments.
A Practical Guide to Continuous Delivery is for everyone who wants to introduce Continuous Delivery, with or without DevOps. For managers, it introduces core processes, requirements, benefits, and technical consequences. Developers, administrators, and architects will gain essential skills for implementing and managing pipelines, and for integrating Continuous Delivery smoothly into software architectures and IT organizations.
- Understand the problems that Continuous Delivery solves, and how it solves them
- Establish an infrastructure for maximum software automation
- Leverage virtualization and Platform as a Service (PAAS) cloud solutions
- Implement build automation and continuous integration with Gradle, Maven, and Jenkins
- Perform static code reviews with SonarQube and repositories to store build artifacts
- Establish automated GUI and textual acceptance testing with behavior-driven design
- Ensure appropriate performance via capacity testing
- Check new features and problems with exploratory testing
- Minimize risk throughout automated production software rollouts
- Gather and analyze metrics and logs with Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana (ELK), and Graphite
- Manage the introduction of Continuous Delivery into your enterprise
- Architect software to facilitate Continuous Delivery of new capabilities
Table of Contents
Part I: Foundations
Chapter 1: Continuous Delivery: What and How?
Chapter 2: Providing Infrastructure
Part II: The Continuous Delivery Pipeline
Chapter 3: Build Automation and Continuous Integration
Chapter 4: Acceptance Tests
Chapter 5: Capacity Tests
Chapter 6: Exploratory Testing
Chapter 7: Deploy—The Rollout in Production
Chapter 8: Operations
Part III: Management, Organization, and Architecture for Continuous Delivery
Chapter 9: Introducing Continuous Delivery into Your Enterprise
Chapter 10: Continuous Delivery and DevOps
Chapter 11: Continuous Delivery, DevOps, and Software Architecture
Chapter 12: Conclusion: What Are the Benefits?