- Build a 2D game using the native 2D development support in Unity 4.3
- Create a platformer with jumping, falling, enemies, and a final boss
- Full of exciting challenges which will help you polish your game development skills
Prepare yourself to travel back to the 90s and build a game like they used to make, using today’s technology. That’s right; we’re talking about making 2D games using Unity!
This book will help you build 2D games in Unity using the engine’s 2D technologies added in Version 4.3. You’ll learn the basics of importing assets and building foundation technology all the way up to full combat and boss battles! With the book’s straightforward and practical approach, each chapter takes you a step closer to the final game. We will wrap things up by looking into the basic aspects of the game’s UI.
Once you reach the end and have integrated a final boss battle, you can go back to the challenges included in each chapter and use them to improve the game and your 2D game development skills!
What you will learn from this book
- Create a 2D game using Unity 4.3’s native 2D technologies
- Control collisions using layered collision management
- Manage events using basic timed sequencing – specifically, a boss battle
- Discover how to track the score and game state
- Design the development and deployment of state systems for object management
- Use C# events and delegates to pass information between objects
- Understand the usage of Unity’s tag system
- Make 2D sprites make other 2D sprites explode with extreme prejudice
A fun, easy-to-follow experience that takes you from an empty project in Unity 4.3+ all the way to a finished, functional 2D platformer, while giving you challenges and ideas to take what you learn in this book and expand upon it.
Who this book is written for
This book is ideal for anyone who wants to learn how to build 2D video games or wants to expand their knowledge of the Unity game engine. To get the most from this book, having knowledge of C# and Unity is important, however, if you are less experienced in these areas, this book still gives you all the necessary tools to create your own game.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction to the 2D World of Unity
Chapter 2: It Lives!
Chapter 3: No Longer Alone
Chapter 4: Give It Some Sugar
Chapter 5: The Ultimate Battle of Ultimate Destiny
Chapter 6: The Finishing Touches