- Design and administer your SQL Server solution on the open source Linux platform
- Install, configure, and fine-tune your database application for maximum performance
- An easy-to-follow guide teaching you how to implement various SQL Server CTP 2.x offerings on Linux—from installation to administration
Microsoft's launch of SQL Server on Linux has made SQL Server a truly versatile platform across different operating systems and data-types, both on-premise and on-cloud.
This book is your handy guide to setting up and implementing your SQL Server solution on the open source Linux platform. You will start by understanding how SQL Server can be installed on supported and unsupported Linux distributions. Then you will brush up your SQL Server skills by creating and querying database objects and implementing basic administration tasks to support business continuity, including security and performance optimization. This book will also take you beyond the basics and highlight some advanced topics such as in-memory OLTP and temporal tables.
By the end of this book, you will be able to recognize and utilize the full potential of setting up an efficient SQL Server database solution in your Linux environment.
What you will learn
- Install and set up SQL Server CTP 2.x on Linux
- Create and work with database objects using SQL Server on Linux
- Configure and administer SQL Server on Linux-based systems
- Create and restore database back-ups
- Protect sensitive data using the built-in cryptographic features
- Optimize query execution using indexes
- Improve query execution time by more than 10x using in-memory OLTP
- Track row-versioning using temporal tables
About the Author
Jasmin Azemovic is a university professor active in the database systems, information security, data privacy, forensic analysis, and fraud detection fields. His PhD degree was in modeling design and developing an environment for the preservation of privacy inside database systems. He is the author of many scientific research papers and two books: Writing T-SQL Queries for Beginners Using Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and Securing SQL Server 2012. He has been a Microsoft MVP (Data Platform) for the last 10 years and an information security consultant. He is an active speaker at many IT professional and community conferences.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Linux distributions
Chapter 2. Installation and configuration
Chapter 3. SQL Server basics
Chapter 4. Database in the sandbox
Chapter 5. Sample databases
Chapter 6. Crash course in querying
Chapter 7. Backup and recovery operations
Chapter 8. User management
Chapter 9. Implementing Data protection
Chapter 10. Indexing
Chapter 11. In-memory OLTP
Chapter 12. Beyond SQL Server