Now packed with new illustrations and more clinically relevant than ever before, this fully updated Eighth Edition of Medical Terminology: An Illustrated Guide helps readers develop a fundamental knowledge of the medical terminology necessary for a career in any health care setting.
To help students learn both medical terms and how they are used in real-world settings, this reader-friendly book demonstrates how medical terms are built from word parts (Part 1), introduces body structures, diseases, and treatments (Part 2), and covers each body system (Part 3). Accessible content, a logical organization, and reinforcing drills in every chapter combine to help readers master the information they need for success in their future careers.
An enhanced art program, many new, clinically focused case studies, and an improved online teaching and learning resources (including prepU adaptive quizzing) make this Eighth Edition ideal for classroom instruction, independent study, or distance learning.
- Greater Student Confidence = Success: Use of Barbara Cohen’s Memmlers Anatomy and Physiology along with this Medical Terminology text delivers continuity of writing style, design, and online resources making students more confident and ultimately more successful in their chosen health profession.
- A greater emphasis on clinical illustrations brings concepts to life and helps students connect learning to practice.
- Updatedcases studies focus on current issues and hot topics to prepare students for the types of challenges they will encounter in practice.
- PrepU is featured in the Ancillaries-at-a-Glance section and is identified with an icon throughout the text.
- Online Student Resources have been updated and enhanced.
- Online Lesson Plans have been updated with tips on using the book in a flipped classroom or in online learning.
Table of Contents
PART I Introduction to Medical Terminology
Chapter 1 Concepts Of Medical Terminology
Chapter 2 Suffixes
Chapter 3 Prefixes
Chapter 4 Cells, Tissues, And Organs
Chapter 5 Body Structure
PART II Disease and Treatment
Chapter 6 Disease
Chapter 7 Diagnosis And Treatment; Surgery
Chapter 8 Drugs
PART III Body Systems
Chapter 9 Circulation: The Cardiovascular And Lymphatic Systems
Chapter 10 Blood And Immunity
Chapter 11 The Respiratory System
Chapter 12 The Digestive System
Chapter 13 The Urinary System
Chapter 14 The Male Reproductive System
Chapter 15 The Female Reproductive System; Pregnancy And Birth
Chapter 16 The Endocrine System
Chapter 17 The Nervous System And Behavioral Disorders
Chapter 18 The Sensory System
Chapter 19 The Skeletal System
Chapter 20 The Muscular System
Chapter 21 The Integumentary System
Appendix 1 Commonly Used Symbols
Appendix 2 Abbreviations and Their Meanings
Appendix 3 Word Parts and Their Meanings
Appendix 4 Meanings and Their Corresponding Word Parts
Appendix 5 Word Roots
Appendix 6 Suffixes
Appendix 7 Prefixes
Appendix 8 Metric Measurements
Appendix 9 Stedman’s Medical Dictionary at a Glance