- Modularize your applications and make them highly reusable and testable
- Get familiar with complex concepts such as metaprogramming, concurrency, and immutability
- A highly practical guide to building functional code in C++ filled with lots of examples and real-world use cases
Functional programming allows developers to divide programs into smaller, reusable components that ease the creation, testing, and maintenance of software as a whole. Combined with the power of C++, you can develop robust and scalable applications that fulfill modern day software requirements. This book will help you discover all the C++ 17 features that can be applied to build software in a functional way.
The book is divided into three modules—the first introduces the fundamentals of functional programming and how it is supported by modern C++. The second module explains how to efficiently implement C++ features such as pure functions and immutable states to build robust applications. The last module describes how to achieve concurrency and apply design patterns to enhance your application's performance. Here, you will also learn to optimize code using metaprogramming in a functional way.
By the end of the book, you will be familiar with the functional approach of programming and will be able to use these techniques on a daily basis.
What you will learn
- Get to know the difference between imperative and functional approaches
- See the use of first-class functions and pure functions in a functional style
- Discover various techniques to apply immutable state to avoid side effects
- Design a recursive algorithm effectively
- Create faster programs using lazy evaluation
- Structure code using design patterns to make the design process easier
- Use concurrency techniques to develop responsive software
- Learn how to use the C++ Standard Template Library and metaprogramming in a functional way to improve code optimization
About the Author
Wisnu Anggoro is a Microsoft Certified Professional in C# programming and an experienced C/C++ developer. He has also authored the books Boost.Asio C++ Network Programming - Second Edition and Functional C# by Packt. He has been programming since he was in junior high school, which was about 20 years ago, and started developing computer applications using the BASIC programming language in the MS-DOS environment. He has solid experience in smart card programming, as well as desktop and web application programming, including designing, developing, and supporting the use of applications for SIM Card Operating System Porting, personalization, PC/SC communication, and other smart card applications that require the use of C# and C/C++. He is currently a senior smart card software engineer at CIPTA, an Indonesian company that specializes in innovation and technology for smart cards. He can be reached through his email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Diving into Modern C++
Chapter 2. Manipulating functions in functional programming
Chapter 3. Applying immutable state to the function
Chapter 4. Recurring method invocation using recursive algorithm
Chapter 5. Procrastinating the execution process using Lazy Evaluation
Chapter 6. Optimizing code with Metaprogramming
Chapter 7. Running parallel execution using Concurrency
Chapter 8. Creating and debugging application in functional approach